Friday, January 2, 2009

Movie Review - Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire is one of the best movies of the year. I hate to say that right off the bat because it creates an expectation in the readers mind going into the movie. I don't want to over hype it to anyone, but I do believe you will like this movie.

Now the question you are probably asking is what is Slumdog Millionaire. It's a little film that is getting a lot of Oscar attention. The movie is about a young man from the slums of India. He becomes a contestant on India's version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. As a contestant he goes farther than any other contestant in the history of the show. Because he is such a simple person, and not a Dr. or Scientist, they accuse him of cheating. The movie flashes back through his life showing how he knew the answers to the questions.

At the heart of the movie is a love story that has you rooting for the main character. The movie has humor, drama, and some action...what more could you want in a movie.

It's rated R, but I don't know why. There are a few swears, some torture and some violence involving kids.

I went into this movie not thinking much about it, but I left thinking it was one of the best movies of the year. I give it two thumbs up.

Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price, and I will own it on DVD. One Thumb up = An OK movie, worth a matinee showing, and I may buy it on DVD if I see it in the $5 bin. Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it. I wouldn't be mad if someone gave me this DVD, but I wouldn't buy it. Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it, wouldn't own it on DVD.

2 comments:

  1. Best movie of the year for me, by far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw it and really loved it! I had never even heard of it until I saw it mentioned on your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.