Friday, January 9, 2009

Fancy Restaurants

Some good friends of ours treated us to a fancy restaurant called Terrapin. My friend wanted to try it out because it was rated the number one restaurant in Hampton Roads.

To be honest I'm kind of scared of fancy places. I don't know what is appropriate or not. I know some basics like putting my napkin on my lap and keeping my elbows off the table, but that is about it. Terrapin has a dress code. Most of the places I go have a dress code that says shirt and shoes required...but they don't care what type of shirt and shoes you wore. I wore khakis and I tucked in my shirt...that is rare. This led us to wonder what would get us kicked out of a place like this. My friend actually asked our waiter if he would get kicked out for taking off his clothes in the restaurant.

Terrapin is a great restaurant. The atmosphere is great! The wait staff is excellent. The food was really good. At first the portions seemed really small because...well...that is the way fancy places do it. But by the time I finished dessert I was pleasantly full. Each of us picked three courses. I started off with the Mac and Cheese with truffles (sounds fancy huh). I then had Sweet Potato and Acorn Squash Ravioli in a Sage Butter with a Chantrelle & Oven Dried Tomato Ragout. I'm used to ordering items with the description fried or cheese in them. I didn't know how I would feel about this, but I loved it. For dessert I had the Trio of Creme Brulee.

Terrapin is a great restaurant. If you are looking for a nice place to go on a date I would recommend it. Save up before you go because it is pricey. And according to our waiter you will not get kicked out for taking off all your clothes in the restaurant. What is the fanciest restaurant you have ever been to?



Pictured above: Our fancy desserts.

11 comments:

  1. after the last blog i would have to say i dont' think this restaurant would kick you out for too much nose hair :) safe than sorry i guess... Heres hoping you get to come in April! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fanciest place that I have ever been to was Ruth Chris' steakhouse in Maui. This place was off-the-charts-good. My mouth starts watering just thinking about that place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fancy means you have to use utensils right?

    The Pines in NC...rspberry glazed duck...mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine was when Tim and I were 21 and 22 Tim worked for a company here in Newport News called IDAB. He was
    in charge of on site robotics installation for newspaper companies all over the world. One of those places was Sapporo, Japan. One night the newspaper people took us and about 13 other people to dinner. It was a exotic Japanese dinner with shark fin soup, REAL sushi and sake. For the 15 of us it was about $12,000 USD! And Tim did not eat much! He says he can beat that when the New York Times Executives took 6 people to the Palm Two for $9,000. Tim asked for steak sauce and got his picture put up on the wall for such outrageous behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmm..... I love a good fancy restaurants especially when someone else is paying! I will attend if you are trying to see what the llimits are of being kicked out of a fancy rest. as long as it isn't the only that my Grandma visits regularly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never even pondered eating anything which consists of more than three words. I think I would lose interest in reading the menu. However, I did go to Schlessinger's one time for my Mom and Grandmother's birthday. I got a steak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While staying at one of the resorts in Disney World we went to a fancy restaurant with our 3 kids. (4,7&10 yrs) The food was fabulous. But, the best part was how our waiters catered to us & especially the kids. They didn't like anything on the menu so the head waiter told them that he would bring them anything that they wanted. I remember one wanted spagetti and the other two a steak. They even cut up their steak for them. But, they (the waiters) got strange looks from all of them when they placed the napkins in their laps for them. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. apparently Boyz II Men think TGI Fridays is a fancy restaurant.... because they came in last year and had their manager ask where the "VIP section" was......... dead serious

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is making me hungry! It looks like a nice place! Maybe we will go there for our next anniversary or something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Antiquities is a great fancy restaurant in Hampton Roads too. It's in Norfolk (I think, or maybe VA Beach -- I can't remember). Very fancy, quite expensive, and extremely yummy! I went there once with some friends when I used to live in VA and I loved it. I keep thinking I need to take Scott there sometime when we're there. The Trellace (sp?) in Williamsburg is great too! I've only been there once also. Even though I love fancy restaurants, I think overall I'd rather eat out more often at cheaper places than once in a blue moon at a fancy place, but they are very fun to try once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.