Monday, January 19, 2009

The Fear of losing

I'm a pretty competitive guy. I don't like to lose. On the other hand if I lose this competition I have a good blog post....

Last week I participated in the Waters Edge Church Directors Off-site. It's 3 days of planning, praying, and brainstorming for the future of Waters Edge Church. I don't know if anyone understands the amount of planning that goes into every decision.

During the Off-site we have a little fun to help us stay creative and energetic. This year we ended up at my father in laws 3-D Black Light mini golf in VA Beach. During dinner Lead Pastor Stu Hodges issued a challenge. The loser of the game would have to jump into the ocean. The competitors were Stu, Bill, Brian, Jake, and Rob.
Now I'm all about competing but what happened during this game was intense. There were moments of confidence and talking junk as well as moments of silence in fear of taking a loss. Bill took a risk on the third hole and missed. He was in last for a couple of rounds until Stu caught him by scoring a 5 on a whole. For the last three holes I thought I was in the clear until...Stu had a miracle come back. He sunk two holes in one in a row. Before he shot he was so nervous about losing he had hives on his neck. I know you can't feel the intensity of this game through a blog but the shots that Stu hit were almost impossible. Because of Stu's Tiger Woods like putting I ended up in last place going into the last whole. I didn't want to come in last...

In the end I pulled it out. Jake came in first followed by a three way tie of dun dun dunnnn...Brian, Stu, and Rob. So last place went to Bill.

Below is a pic of Bill freshly out of the ocean.

7 comments:

  1. pastors gone wild! haha can't wait for you an monica to come out here!! so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was so much fun. i definitely like the high stakes competition. and i just wanted to reiterate... in case people didn't catch it... that i came in first.

    i'm not prideful or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Bill was questioned by the police later that evening, I believe he said "It's O.K., I'm with the church group". Good thing you folks brought bail money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 9th hole was brutal...the great equalizer. Props to Bill for follow through and being a great sport. Anyone ready for round 2?

    ReplyDelete
  5. you guys are NUTS! and yes, we are THAT church!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does Bill have anything on under that towel? I'm with Brian, nice follow through Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle, Bill has on swim trunks under that towel. Or does he?

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.