Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Songs

There is something about music that is so powerful. I don't know what it is. When I listen to a song I actually listen to the lyrics. I want to know what the song means. What inspired it? Sometimes I love a song because it has a good beat or a catchy chorus, but a lot of my favorite songs are my favorites because they say something that makes me think. Here are some songs that I'm digging right now.

  1. Lost (remix) by Coldplay featuring Jay Z. Great song! The song says, "You might be a big fish In a little pond Doesn’t mean you’ve won‘ Cause a long may come A bigger one." I think it's about how we shouldn't compare to others. Someone is always better. That doesn't mean that we don't have value.
  2. You Found Me by The Fray. This song was written during a difficult time in the lead singers life. It's a passionate song about hurt, loss, and questioning God's timing. In the song he cries out to God (who is smoking a cigarette) and asks why did you have to wait? Sometimes it feels like God doesn't answer our prayers. It's in those moments where we find God.
  3. Broken by Lifehouse - Great lyrics. This line resonates with me... "I'm falling apart I'm barely breathing With a broken heart That's still beating In the pain (In the pain) There is healing In your name (In your name) I find meaning."
  4. Live Your Life by TI - this line is probably inappropriate but I think it's pretty profound..."Your values is a disarrayed, prioritized are horribly. Unhappy with the riches cause you piss poor morally." It makes me think about how you can gain a whole world and yet lose your soul.

What songs are you digging? Leave a comment.

9 comments:

  1. Nickelback-Gotta Be Somebody is a new favorite of mine.
    I also really like Broken and You Found Me. You have good taste Rob.
    Now I'm going to feed into your theory that country is my favorite and say Taylor Swift-Love Story.
    Since it is Christmas time, what is your favorite Christmas song Rob, if you have one?
    Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the song "Mad World" (originally by Tears For Fears... but in this case the version by Gary Jules)... they use it in the movie Donnie Darko. such a hauntingly amazing song.. deep stuff

    also digging the new Kanye West album, and Fall Out Boy's new album.... still sifting through all the new songs and learning the lyrics, but both have plenty of intense lyrics and great songs

    ReplyDelete
  3. For your Glory by C3 Oxford Falls Sydney - brilliant up tempo worship song by the C3 Sydney crew

    Homesick by Thirsty Merc, an Aussie band - great ballad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I really like Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC, I like I Celebrate the Day by Relient K, and Little Drummer Boy by Jars of Clay. I also like the song by Paul McCartney...Wonderful Christmas Time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know the artist or title, but it's the "Shake, shake. Shake Shake a shake it!" It makes me smile and dance! If you had pulled up beside me and Rob in the car last night on 17 we were shakin it to that song! I know nothing about other lyrics or deep meanings. I just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol to Monica's comment..... that band is pretty sleazy, and the lyrics are rather risque if you read them

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love "Inside Out" by Hillsongs United right now. Every time we hear that song, Selleck says, "That song is just like at PaPaw Shepherd's church." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, have you heard mighty to save by Hillsong United. It is excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.