Monday, December 8, 2008

An embarrassing call for help

"I'm going to ask you for a favor, but before I do you have to promise me you won't blog about this."


Last night I get a call on my house phone. Normally that phone is reserved for parents and telemarketers. If someone knows me they normally call my cell.


On the other end of the phone was a familiar voice that said "I'm going to ask you for a favor, but before I do you have to promise me you won't blog about this." I was curious and a little worried.


On the other end of the phone was Brian Miller (Director of Administration at WEC). He said that he went to the office after the 6:00 PM service at Waters Edge. He was there with Bill Sprouse (Director of First Impressions at WEC). He said that he was talking to Bill and as Bill was leaving he said I will be right behind you. When Brian got to the office door Bill had locked it behind him. Brian's keys to the office were in his car. He was locked in the office with no way to get out. Brian watched hopelessly as Bill drove off on his motorcycle.


Brian's cell phone died earlier that night, so he couldn't pull up phone numbers. Slightly embarrassed Brian used the phone book in the office to look up my home number.


I've been in similar situations as Brian. I don't know why it's embarrassing. Maybe because there is the fear that someone will make fun you. Maybe it's because we have trained ourselves to not rely on other people. Maybe it's because our friends have blogs. I don't know why this type of thing is embarrassing but it shouldn't be. In life we often need help. We often need someone to come bail us out. We need people to do for us what we can't do on our own. The embarrassing thing is when people are too prideful to make the call. It's more embarrassing to ruin your life on your own then allow others to help when you are down. Think about it.

5 comments:

  1. Nice message today. Brian needs all the help he can get on most days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, if you were at the office why didn't you look up the number in F1? All our numbers are there. I am glad Rob let you out!
    Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.