Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Classic

How do you define a classic? The term is thrown around pretty loosely. This past weekend I was hanging out and someone mentioned that the movie "Ten Things I Hate About You" was a classic. It's a decent film. I bought it for $5. I don't know if I would say it's a classic, but to this person it was.

I've come to define classic as something that you don't get tired of. No matter how many times you've seen the movie it still holds up. No matter how many times you've listened to a song you still love it. No matter how many times you've drank a Coke it still tastes amazing...it's still classic. There are lots of movies, songs, and soft drinks that are great for a while but over time they just don't hold up. If it stands the test of time then it's a classic. For me that includes the original Indiana Jones, G.I. Joe the cartoon, and the album Jesus Freak by dc Talk.

3 comments:

  1. Like the original Scooby Doo cartoons. Like Mountain Dew. Like the Bible. Like regular blue jeans. Like French Fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was TOTALLY there for this discussion and I like your definition of the term.
    My classics would have to include Goonies, Saved By the Bell, Full House, Krispy Kreame Doughnuts, and coke from a glass bottle (ahhhhhhh)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a classic is something that could be used to help define a people, culture, generation, period of time or geography.

    I think many things could qualify, but to qualify it has to have broad application or appeal to the people it is meant to define.

    In capturing the angst of the adolescent period I think you could count 10 things I hate about you, after all it's basically an update on The Taming of the Shrew.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.