Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New Smell

Your house has a distinct smell to it. You probably noticed this smell when you first moved in, but after time you became accustomed to the smell. You probably notice everyone else's house smell and everyone else notices yours.

Not too far away from me is a town with a paper mill. It's the worst smell ever. It smells like butt musk that died. Apparently the people in this town have become numb to the smell and they don't notice it. Whenever I drive through the smell smacks me in the face.

It's easy to become accustomed to the smells of our life. Each of us give off an aroma that is either pleasing to be around or it just stinks. It's easy to become accustomed to the smells that we put off. Worry, anger, bitterness leave a horrible stench, but often we don't notice because we are used to them. Similarly joy, patience, and love can freshen up a room. If your life has grown stale then add something that will freshen up the smell of your life.

5 comments:

  1. Not sure what butt musk is. Maybe they have different critters roaming around your neck of the woods. Other than that, very solid advice. I will definitely think about this throughout the day and try to give off a good smell with all that I come in contact with. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha butt musk...whatever that is...:) but a true blog! good word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is a paper mill in covington...its horrible....we have a "treatment plant" nearby that is rather odorous as well. cole likes to have us put the windows down just to annoy logan. lol. i like the smell of my boys hair...distinct indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is true. In fact, visitors to my new home have told me that it smells like the home I had in Norfolk. It always frustrates me because I want to know what the smell is like.

    --Terrace Crawford
    www.terracecrawford.com
    www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.