Sunday, July 20, 2008

Comparison

Comparing is a dangerously unfruitful game. My dad is better than your dad, my car is better than your car, my church is bigger than your church. It doesn't matter what you compare it's a fruitless thing to do. I try not to compare much but there are times when it's hard. Like the time I wanted to collect friends on MySpace just so I had more than someone else. I ended up with a bunch of people that never talked to me. Oh, I was friends with everyone from Kobe Bryant to Tom (inventor of Myspace), but in the end it didn't really matter. Comparing is always silly to do, and it never produces anything worthwhile. Here's the deal with comparing, even if you have more or are better than someone else someone else is always better than you.

Take this blog for example. I told a friend of mine that I had almost 1,000 different visitors to my blog last month. I felt pretty good about that fact until I saw the list of top blogs on the world wide web. There's a guy that received 40,000 comments in one day. Do what? 40,000 that is ridiculous. On a good day I receive 2 or 3 comments. But I bet there are other bloggers that would love to receive 2 comments.

The point is it is fruitless to compare. It just brings jealousy. Instead of comparing try celebrating someone else's accomplishments. Instead of finding fault with someone who has more than you, find a way to compliment them. Instead of getting discouraged because you don't have something someone else has be encouraged because most likely someone is looking at you and wishing they had what you have. By the way my dad is better than your dad!

1 comment:

  1. I think the best thing for this is being satisfied with what you have. The material things, (my family, home and car) but also with relationships. It is not so much "my friend is hanging with other people" but am I happy with the relationship as it is? Do I want more time with them and if the answer is yes, to build on that, not to be jealous of them and what they do with other people. We should nurture our relationships and be happy with where they are. We are a competitive people, and we can use that to compete with ourselves, not everyone else. You were happy with your blog, so be happy with your blog. No outside force should change your mind. It is about being satisfied, and thankful, and only you can give that to yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.