Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rob's Rant

Recently I was watching TV and even though I have a million channels there was nothing on. I ended up watching part of the movie Starsky and Hutch with Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson. What I saw was mildly amusing, but I felt this rant rise up in me that I wanted to share with the world.

I don't understand why Hollywood takes classic TV shows and makes them into sub par comedies. To my knowledge Starsky and Hutch wasn't a comedy when it originally aired on TV. A more recent example is the upcoming movie Land of the Lost starring Will Ferrell. As a kid I loved Land of the Lost and there was nothing funny about it. Sure looking back it was a cheesy show, but it wasn't a comedy. Hollywood turned the classic Brady Bunch into a movie that spoofed the Brady family. Hollywood turned the wholesome Dukes of Hazard into comedy with pot smoking, and a little action thrown in.

In my opinion Hollywood should update classic TV and make great movies. Case in point The Fugitive staring Harrison Ford. Another example is Mission Impossible. Although I only really like part III, they attempted to make great movies from a classic TV show. Rant over.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Rob, you speak for many of us. You Hollywood types should definitely take notice as you read this blog and take action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rant with you! I loved LOTL as a kid, the new movie makes me want to puke. These remakes leave a lot to be desired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any of these movies but Starsky & Hutch, however both the Dukes and Starsky, although attempting to be somewhat serious, were meant to be taken as comedic when they originally came out. The Duke boys also ran moonshine which pretty much was the pre '70s version of pot. Not defending Hollywood (as I said, I haven't seen them), just stating facts. I think when you really like something you have an expectation built about what a re-make should be and it rarely meets your expectation.

    Also, the first MI is really good (2 wasn't, I'll give you that). Sure you have to think a little and maybe watch it twice if you miss things, but I like that about it. It was more of a true spy movie.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.