Sunday, October 5, 2008

I Survived The New Kids On The Block...

On Thursday, October 2, I experienced my first ever New Kids On The Block Concert. I went with my wife and my sister-in-law, Nicole. There were approximately 20,000 women at this concert and 6 guys. The New Kids made up 5 of the guys and I was the sixth...just joking. There were probably a dozen guys with their wives. Here are some of my thoughts about the night...

We are really high up.

The picture above is a picture of our seats when we first got there. I bought tickets for Monica on the day they went on sale and this was the best we could get. Before we left for the concert I received an email saying there were still tickets available for the concert. Do what? I checked and they had seats available on the floor. For $20 more we could move from section 402 to the floor. I thought it was sold out! So after circa 2 minutes I left and went to the Box Office and exchanged our seats. Below are pictures from our new seats. I'm not sure how this happened because the concert looked sold out.

The opening act was a 19 year old name Colby O'Donis. Song you may have heard = What You Got. Colby is really talented.

During the opening act we discovered make out couple. They made out during the whole first two acts and then throughout the rest of the night. I guess she was rewarding him for taking one for the team. Gross.

The second opening act was Natasha Bedingfield. She can flat blow. She has a great voice. Song you may have heard = Unwritten.

Then came the New Kids. I have never heard screams like I heard when they first came out. It was deafening. The crowd stood for the entire 2 hour performance and they screamed the whole time. The picture below is make out couple...they are now standing.


Our new seats were 29 rows away from the stage. That was a good seat, but mid-way through the concert the New Kids came to the center of the stadium and they were circa five feet away. The girls around me went nuts. It was disgusting.




For most of the rest of the night make out couple made out. Sometimes he stayed in his seat and she stood...somehow they still made out. I'm not sure when this picture was taken, but I think it was near the end of the night.

I've been to a lot of concerts and this was the biggest production I have ever been to. They spent a lot of money on this tour.

The New Kids are good performers. They entertained their fans for two hours straight. Girls would go crazy at every little move they made. I told Monica that I hope she gets that excited to see me when I'm a 40 year old like the New Kids.


Step 3...it's just you and me...


For their second encore they came out in Celtic Jerseys. Being a Lakers fan I booed, but nobody could hear me because the screams were so loud.


At the end of the night I had survived. I laughed a lot at the concert. It was funny to me how excited the women would get over the New Kids. The only time I felt really uncomfortable though is when one of the New Kids did a solo song and sang in a wind machine that blew his unbuttoned shirt open. I'm not gonna lie, I wanted to punch him. It just didn't feel right having a 40 year old man dance in a wind machine with an unbuttoned shirt. Besides that I can say it was an experience. I felt like I was a part of history because the crowd was so crazy into it. I have never seen my wife have so much fun, and for that it was worth it.


7 comments:

  1. Great recap Rob! Didn't you just want to say to make-out couple "get a room!" That so annoys me. I went to see Rick Springfield last Sat.at the Sandler Center. Remember Jessie's Girl? And Dr. Noah Drake from General Hospital? Well, he just turned 60 and he was fabuluous! I probably felt like Monica did for NKOTB. He is a rocker and he came into the audience across our chairs and played his guitar and just rocked out! He even stood on my seat for a while. The best part of the whole thing was I won the tickets from a radio station. My sister had paid $96 for hers and was on the 2nd row. My free tickets were up in the balcony. So, my friend and I just went down & squeezed in with my sister. Much better view. Then to make the night even more fabuluous we were staying at the fancy Westin Hotel which was where Rick & his band were staying. We hung out with them for about an hour in the bar and took pics and all. Just in case you need proof just look on my Facebook page and you can see a pic of me & him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that most of you can't relate to the amazing-ness that was this concert. I jumped, screamed, and held Nicole while we jumped up and down. My husband, robshep.com, is unbelievable for taking us. And, yes, I would scream like that for Rob at age 40. Especially if he was in a wind machine with his shirt unbuttoned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob you are a true man for taking Monica to that!
    you deserve any gift you want for the rest of your life from her!
    i hope i dont have to take my future wife to a Backstreet Boys or NSYNC reunion concert when im older... although i probably wouldnt mind since, im not gonna lie, i listened to them too.. oh well
    haha im glad you didnt get trampled by any crazy ladies!
    see ya wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can tell it's love when you take your wife to a NKOTB concert and you even make sure your shirts are color coordinated. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing this update! What a great Monday morning laugh it was to see your descriptions of the concert (specifically the sidenotes of make-out couple cracked me up!). And, that is such a great pix of the 2 of you, yall are such a beautiful couple :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you just say that NKOB are Celtic's fans!? I knew there was a reason why I had a crush on those boys when I was young! No really, sounds like it was a good time! This date certainly racked up the points for a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the concert! I had a ton of fun with you guys! Thanks for getting better seats for us once we got there. That was amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.