Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dreams that happen more than once

Have you ever had the same dream more than one time? I've had a version of a dream three times now. The dream is a different setting and there are different people in it but the outcome is the same. In the dream it's a Sunday at Waters Edge Church. I'm getting ready to speak and for some reason I don't know what I'm going to say. I have notes, but it's like I haven't memorized the talk. I get so stressed out and worked up I end up waking up stressed out and worked up.

I had that dream again last night. This time Brian Miller was giving announcements and for some reason we were sharing a wireless headset mic. He was happy with himself for doing a good job with the announcements and he was taking his sweet time taking the wireless headset mic off. I was so stressed that I didn't have my talk memorized I ended up yelling at him. When I started the talk I started stalling to try to get my thoughts together. For some reason we had on stage a bunch of clowns that danced. Some of the clowns at the front of the stage were either little kids dressed as clowns or little people dressed as clowns. My opening line to the talk was I like the clowns as a part of the set...the little ones are cute...a little creepy, but cute. Then I woke up stressed out. I'm speaking tomorrow at WEC. I don't feel stressed about it, but maybe my subconscious is telling me something. Have you ever had a recurring dream?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had several reoccurring dreams after I saw "The Grudge". I have not watched a scary movie since! By the way, you did a great job today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a reoccuring dream where all my teeth start falling out. It's quite a mess and I wake up nervous that my teeth are gone. I've never even had a cavity, so I'm not sure what that's about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I haunted you in your dreams last night Rob! Way to knock it out of the park today though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think reoccurring dreams personify a worrisome kind of fear--especially a situation in which we have little control. Even though your sermon was well memorized, there are always those little and big unknowns that might distract your focus and rob you of the moment--those devilish clowns, just gleefully positioned, waiting for you to mess up.
    The interesting thing is that you acknowledge the clowns. That means you have control again. You face the unpredictable challenge and it disappears. You wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mon, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about. This has something to do with perfection vs. imperfection. Even a tiny, unobservable cavity would be a big deal to someone who has a perfect set of pearly whites.
    No one else would know; it would't show, but it only takes a slight flaw to move from perfect to imperfect. Like most dreams, it sounds like an exaggeration of a little worrisome fear that is not totally in your control.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.