Monday, April 6, 2009

Speak Thought

Fear consumed my thoughts and I did not know what to do...

I get to speak in front of people a lot. I love those moments when I'm in the zone and every thought just flies out of my mouth. There are times though when I'm saying something and my mind is thinking something totally different. It's like I zone out from what I'm saying in my mind. This happens sometimes when I feel like I've messed up. I start beating myself up in my mind while my mouth continues on with the presentation. It happens sometimes if someone does something funny in the audience like fall asleep. To my knowledge I still stay on my script and it doesn't throw off what I'm saying, but I hate it because for those few seconds my brain goes somewhere else.

This happened yesterday at church. I was doing the welcome and as I started I saw someone in the audience laugh. For some reason at that moment fear consumed my thoughts and I did not know what to do. I panicked because at that moment I thought my zipper was down. I normally check it right before I go out on stage but for some reason I forgot. I'm standing there giving the welcome and all I can think about is a way to turn around and check my fly. I had some solace in the fact that my shirt was untucked, but my mind would not stop thinking that everyone could see...everything.

As soon as I got off stage I checked and thankfully the zipper was zipped up. That my friends is speak thought. Saying one thing while speaking and at the same time thinking something totally different.

7 comments:

  1. which is all fine and dandy until you get the two crossed and announce the zipper down event this coming thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seemed to happen to me all too often. Preaching in a small church plant meant people were just a couple of feet away from where I was talking. So, whenever anyone did anything, it had the potential to throw me off. I would find myself dwelling on the person sleeping or talking or even doing their check book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob, we should work out some sort of kooky hand signals should there be something amiss with your wardrobe or appearance at the 6 p.m.. I can yip like a dog, or drag my butt in circles on the floor, or thump wildly on the top of my head. What do you think? Would any of these be clear enough but with the requisite decorum and subtlety?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One person in an audience can have a powerful affect. Being part of a large group, individuals feel hidden. They are seemingly unaware of just how much individual behavior a speaker sees and processes while continuing to speak. However, seemingly innocent actions on the part of even 1 person can distract the speaker and others around him. As a teacher, I often have to choose between ignoring or addressing the issue. Most of the time, I have found whatever is going on has little to do with me. It's all about the person reacting. When most or all the class is reacting, I know it's about me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its like your own fictionary term!

    I hope it was not me who laughed! I know I smiled, but am unsure if it came out as a laugh. If it was me, I apologize! I did comment to Katie (my friend sitting beside me) that you and Stu were dressed alike yesterday (with the exception of the pants). That might have made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daniel, I like the signal ideas. Any of those could work. That way if I do have a zipper malfunction everyoen will be distracted by what you are doing and I can zip it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot do this at all. If my thoughts and my words don't match nothing I say will make sense. You are a man of many talents Rob.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.