Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Pastor Doesn't Get My Blog

I had a conversation with my pastor the other day and he said that there is nothing wrong with my blog but he just doesn't get it. He doesn't get why I care about the stats of my blog. He doesn't get why I love writing it. He doesn't get why I promote it via Twitter or Facebook. He doesn't get it. He's not the only one. There are lots of people out there that just don't get why I blog. And that's ok.

It's hard to explain but I love having a blog. It's kind of like a kid who is proud of their art project. The reality is it's not a masterpiece but they are proud of it. They are proud of it because it's something they created. robshep.com is not perfect. I make grammar mistakes, I often write blog posts that are too long, and I sometimes say things that are inappropriate (did you read the blog post on wipe your own butt?). Even though it's not perfect robshep.com is a part of me. What you read is my humor, it's my thoughts, it's my life for the world wide web to see.

I love writing, I love making people laugh, and I love having a blog. It's one of the few things I've ever created from scratch. Can anyone relate? Maybe you can't relate to having a blog but maybe there is something else out there that you have created and because of that you are proud of it. Maybe it's not perfect but because it's yours you care about. I'd love to know what have you created that you love?

9 comments:

  1. I have the same feelings about my blog. Sometimes I think it is a lot of effort and maybe nobody even pays attention or cares. In the grand scheme of things, perhaps it does not matter too much. But, it gives me an outlet to express myself in a way that I would not otherwise have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pastor needs help ;-) - send him down under!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heres the thing, not everyone will get it, and thats ok...i love blogging and telling stories...its theraputic...for me and those that read (i hope). who am i performing for?

    and i gave up the quest to chase you...have not chcked stats in 3 days...recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging is an advanced form of journals or diaries which have given people pleasure throughout time. I have heard that most great leaders, especially spiritual leaders journal in some form. It's a way of capturing those random thoughts and examining them more closely--sometimes fun, sometimes frivolous, sometimes therapeutic, and once in a while--profound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog. It is actually my favorite one of all the blogs I read. It is entertaining and fun! And it is updated often, which I appreciate! Not all people get blogging, but whatev, the rest of us quite enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that I too am a blogger, I find alot of HAPPINESS in creating something that represents ME! I have to agree with all the "whys" that you posted in your blog. Couldn't have said it better myself.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really create anything. I admire people that do, I'd like to, but I don't.

    But Stu really doesn't get your blog at all. In fact, he wanted me to stop encouraging you, to which I responded that I don't really get the blog thing (or really tech of any kind, facebook / twitter / heck even texting)but I try to help my friends realize whatever goals they might have. So, good for you for creating... lots of people like your blog and would miss it, I'll continue to try to help build your readership by plugging it at opportune moments.

    Cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really? Stu doesn't get it? I totally get it; maybe because I blog also. Our blogs are different and we do them for different reasons but in the end, we are still proud of it and we want people to read it. I wish more people would "follow" my blog or leave comments so that I would know it's being read. I know allot of people read it that I didn't know about but there is something about it when you know people are reading it. It makes you want to keep on doing it. I, too, love your blog. It's so "you" and I read it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don’t usually reply to posts but I will in this case. I’ve been experiencing this very same problem with a new WordPress installation of mine. I’ve spent weeks calibrating and getting it ready when all of a sudden… I cannot delete any content. It’s a workaround that, although isn’t perfect, does the trick so thanks! I really hope this problem gets solved properly asap.

    rH3uYcBX

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.