Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fat People Know Diets

Being a person with some girth I think it's ok for me to weigh in on the subject of fat people and diets. If you need some advice about dieting talk to one of your fat friends, don't talk to one of your skinny friends. Most of my crack skinny friends don't know a lot about dieting or even eating right. I have a few that are health conscience but a lot of them have a super mutant metabolism and they eat whatever they want.

A lot of fat people know diets because we're the ones who have been on them. Some of the best advice I've got about dieting, exercise, and weight loss has been from overweight folks. I've received advice about what diets work, how to speed up my metabolism, and how often I should exercise. Now one would think that all that knowledge would translate into a fat person becoming thin. The truth is knowledge alone doesn't do anyone any good. Just knowing about dieting doesn't do a person any good unless they are disciplined enough to put what they know into practice.

The same is true with the Bible. Far too many Christians are fat on knowledge but that knowledge doesn't really do them any good. You only see results if you apply what you already know. This post was inspired by James 4:17, "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a word to chew on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very good point, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one man of girth to another, awesome thoughts. At times I feel academically fat but spiritually thin. Hashing things out with my Community Group is helpful at times. Other times, I make progress with prayer and inner thought. Other times I fall into sinful patterns and can't find my way out. Wish there were always easy answers or a formula to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, you and me both. I think one helpful thing is to have a steady diet of Bible reading, and service. Feeding yourself the Bible and then applying what you learn is one way to help. It's easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post rob. lot of truth there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post Roberto! very true

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post, Rob. I know all about dieting.... and I have been "about to start" Weight Watchers for the last 6 weeks, for some reason, I always have an excuse! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.