Wednesday, August 18, 2010

People Watch: Part 2

After Student Community Group one night one of my students was talking to me about some of his struggles. He wasn't struggling with smoking pot, going too far physically with girls, or any of the normal things that my guys talk to me about.  His struggle was believing that God is good and yet there is so much evil in the world. He started talking to me about how bad some people were. Evil people. People who have done such evil it makes him struggle with his faith. 
He told me that after talking with me he had some hope. He said even hearing how I talk about my wife gave him hope that there is genuine love in this world and that God can exist.

The Bible says, "Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." - 1 John 2:6.

I think one of the reasons that verse is so important is because the way we treat people helps form people's opinions about God.  If you love like Jesus, forgive like Jesus, and show compassion like Jesus people will notice.  If you claim to be a Christian and don't live it with your life people will also notice that.  Just like this student who was doubting God because of the lack of love, when someone truly loves others in the name of God it's life changing.  It only takes one person making a difference to change some one's opinion about God. I wish people didn't form their opinions on God based on humans, but they do.  I just hope that my life gives people a reason to believe in God.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta live this one out. So important. Not easy, but so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor kid. He's been influenced along the way by the Calvinist/Reformed thought that God controls everything, and is responsible for everything. Fortunately, that's not the case. If it were, we'd have to give God credit/blame for all the bad stuff that happens. We too often forget that we have an enemy who comes to steal, kill & destroy. It's God thru Jesus who comes to bring us life to the fullest.

    Yes, God is good. In fact, it's God's goodness that shows us evil's contrast. Without the goodness, evil would only be chemical reactions & learned behaviors that make loving one's neighbor a choice no better than eating him.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.