Tuesday, August 17, 2010

People Watch: Part 1

I saw a guy at church that I often see at the gym.  I'd never seen him at church, so at the gym on Monday I wanted to see what he thought.  What he told me was both encouraging and discouraging.  He said that he had watched the way that I carry myself at the gym. He noticed how I acted and behaved and knew that something was different about me.  That is all the stuff I liked. He then said that even though I never invited him he wanted to check out my church because of the way I lived.  That's the part I didn't like. I hate that I didn't invite him.

After talking with him I was blown away by his comments. I don't know his last name. Our interaction at the gym is mostly a smile with a good morning attached to it.  It's 6:00 AM so our brains aren't awake enough to have a full blown conversation.  I'm not sure how he even knew I worked at a church. He said that he just woke up one morning and felt like he should visit a church. He didn't know what time it started and didn't know anyone else that went. When he got there he was greeted and started explaining that he knew me. Before he could finish he saw me up on the screens in the lobby. I just happened to be preaching that day.

It's amazing to me that anyone would pay attention to the way I live. It's scary to think that people are watching even when you don't notice. This guy has come back to Waters Edge multiple times now. He likes it. I wish I would have invited him. I'm thankful though that he saw something in my life that made him want to visit a church.

3 comments:

  1. Rob, I know that I've told you that you are an example for me to consider. I want people to know that I am a Christian by my words and actions and thoughts. You have shown me multiple times how to model this behavior. There are many of us out here I am sure. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words." Love that quote and you've given a practical example of it. Words and actions in harmony with the Spirit are a powerful, persuasive combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone once told me if you have to tell people you are a Christian you probably aren't acting like it.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.