Monday, May 23, 2011

Why I Hate Jon Acuff

Everything in me wants to hate the man that is known as Jon Acuff. Who is Jon Acuff? Well, if you don't know then you are one of the few who haven't been dominated by his addictive blog. If you haven't heard of him then you my friend are about to learn about him. If you do know of him then you probably share my desire to hate Jon William Acuff. Okay, I don't know if his middle name is William but I do know that I want to hate him because...
  • He started a blog on March 21, 2008. I started my blog in April of 2008 but I'm too lazy to keep track of the exact day that it went public.
  • On the first day of his blog he had exactly 3.5 gazillion readers. On my first day of blogging I had 3.5 readers and in order to get that many I had to read my blog on 3 different computers and an iPod. Thus the half stat. Is it wrong to count your stats when you know that the 3.5 people is just you? No says I. I couldn't get my friends and family to read and I had stats to track.
  • He has a good head of hair. I'm going bald quicker than Nair on a hairy back.
  • He receives 142 thousand comments no matter what his post is about. I have to beg my friends to leave a comment.
  • He has written three books. I have a book idea that just sits on the shelf of my mind.
  • His blog has a theme. It's called "Stuff Christians Like." My blog lacks a theme.
  • Not only does he have a blog that is taking over the Internet, but he also makes time to have a second blog. Come on man...seriously?! Two blogs. The world wide web is already crowded enough. Now instead of dealing with the competition of one Jon Acuff site I have to battle two.
  • He responds to a lot of comments on his blogs. I struggle to respond to the handful of comments that I get.
  • He's a nice guy. I'm a nice guy too but compared to side hugging Jon Acuff I'm a real baddie.
  • He works for Dave Ramsey. I can't hate on him for this. Dave Ramsey is the man!
  • His creates catch phrases like Jesus Juke. I create catch phrases like Jack Hole and I'm embarrassed by it.  
  • His posts are long. I like long posts but my readers don't. People tell me to my face that I need to write shorter posts.
  • I friended him on Twitter. Some people think he's really ha-larious on Twitter. I did it just because all the cool kids were doing it. You know what that punk did? He started following me on Twitter. The nerve.
  • People tell me often that I would love his blog. Nobody ever tells him that he would even remotely be interested in skimming my blog.
  • He writes things that convict me.
The truth is that I don't hate Jon Acuff. The truth is that even if I did want to hate Jon Acuff he would win me over with his super blogging powers. The truth is I love Jon Acuff as much as I could love any person that I've never met, but I've stalked on a blog, Twitter, or at a conference. I once stood next to Jon at a conference but I didn't want to bother him. He probably would have said something funny and made me laugh. Jerk.

So do you read Jon's blog or blogs? If so what is your favorite post of his?

38 comments:

  1. I will make you feel good Rob.  I read your blog but not his.  Makes you feel like big stuff I bet.  :)  

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dude sounds like a punk to me with his humor and hair and good job and creativity. I say we TP his house tonight. Then afterward, we can have something way cool to blog about that will sweep through the internet like a jackhole through a bowl of pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this guy until I read this. I'm not interested in either of his blogs nor do I have time to read them. I like the honesty with which you write and you have a great sense of humor. Be encouraged, my friend. You're on a good track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, I could write a book titled Daniel Carman comments and it would sell a gazillion copies. Quality, my friend. Quality.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Score one for me. Bill, thanks for reading and for leaving comments. I am honored! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing to compare. You are one of a kind, Rob! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I think you're cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love his post relating Man on Fire to Jesus dying on the cross. its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9.  Rob, is the name of your book "Somehow I Manage"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read both of them. My two favorites are the Metrosexual Praise Leader one and the V-Neck one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rob this is Jon's wife, Jenny. Have no fear I have heard him say the same thing about other bloggers... they have more comments, they do a better job, they interact and recreate community more naturally. I think your feelings come with the territory of being a writer. 

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny, thanks for the comment. This whole thing really was meant to be funny. I hope that everyone who reads can see that. I've got nothing but love for your husband. Oh, what is his middle name? 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adam, those are both most excellent!  

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks. You should read his blog. Stuff Christians Like is amazing!  

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barb, you should check out his blog when you have a chance. It's great stuff. I was trying to be funny with this post. He is an awesome blogger.  

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rob, you are funny and I caught the humor in this post. I frequently laugh aloud at your posts. Just don't always make the time to reply.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Barb, thanks for the comment. I appreciate the comments when you do have time. Oh and I saw you at church yesterday but I didn't get to say hello. It's not as good but here is a virtual hello.  

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love SCL. Total addict. IF it makes you feel any better though, I found SCL through YOUR blog. So I was a robshep.com reader first :)  

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will be reading it now....but I, too, was a Robshep.com fan FIRST!  In fact, your blog was one of the first I ever truly followed!  Now, I'm slowly getting addicted to many!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lindsey, I'm glad I could introduce you. His is one of the best on the world wide web.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah I read Jon's blog and it's my favorite blog on the net. Sorry, :) I had the great pleasure of meeting him last month at a conference. We had a short conversation. I was super nervous for some reason. I'm sure I sounded like a nerd. Oh well... His story is ver inspirational however. It kind of makes people like me feel that we can do  big things if we just start doing things. 

    ReplyDelete
  22. His dog's not half as cool as yours.

    Wait a minute...you were comparing blogs?

    Oh...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Never heard of him before.  Well, now I have heard of him, thanks to you.  So now I shall stop following robshep.com and start following this Acuff guy.  :)  Kidding.  Maybe.

    Although I blog about my dog (pathetic, I know...), you were the one who inspired me to start a blog.  Not by anything you said or did, but just because I read robshep.com, had no idea what a blog even was (dark ages, anyone?) and went to blogspot.com because I saw that's what you were using.  You must be a cool kid, then!

    Just FYI--I read but don't always comment.  I hate it when people do that to me, but I'm guilty!!

    -Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joseph, no need to appologize. I love his blog. This was meant to be funny. He is very inspirational. What conference did you meeet him at?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ricky, that was a really funny comment until I realized that I don't have a dog. Does he? I might have to get one just to one up him. I kid, I kid.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This reminds me of this post...

    http://www.ragamuffinsoul.com/2011/02/tyler/

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was a really funny post by Tyler Stanton. He's one of my favorite bloggers and people in this world who make funny videos and MC Catalyst.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hate him, too. Only not. The Jesus Juke post was/is probably my favorite. And the one that I will one day guest post for him.  That will be a great one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't wait for you to one day guest post. It will be brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  30. If you have to stop following me for one blogger then he'd be a great one to follow. His blog is one of the best around.

    ReplyDelete
  31. also rob if it makes you feel better i'm jealous of the ease of which you produce blog posts....i struggle to do one a week..and usually only 5-10 people read it and i get 2-3 comments...so you are way big time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yea, I hate him\love him too... for the same reasons.  ;)

    //TC//

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.