Friday, May 20, 2011

I Wish God Was Like Tandem Skydiving

The following post was an idea that I had for a talk at Waters Edge Church. I ended up going in a different direction but I still wanted to share this idea. Most of the pictures included in this post have never been seen before...

I wish God was like tandem skydiving. To me skydiving wasn't scary. I was attached to an instructor who has made over 8,000 successful jumps. I might have been blindly trusting the instructor but I figured that he didn't want to die. Since he was attached to me I trusted that he would do anything in his power to make sure that we landed safely on the ground. I wish I felt that same confidence with God. 

I have never seen God. When I make jumps of faith I can't physically feel God attached to my back. To take a leap of faith is way more scarier then jumping out of a plane for a tandem skydive. God doesn't give you a parachute. He doesn't talk you through each step of the process. He doesn't always guarantee that if you jump that you'll land safely on the ground.

I was encouraged by a verse that I read in the Bible this week. "Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls." 1 Peter 8-9 (NIV).

In my experience it takes more faith to trust in God then it does to trust in a tandem skydiving instructor. It takes more faith but it's worth it. There are lots of times when I don't know which direction to go. There are lots of questions that I have the Bible just wasn't designed to answer. Where are all the dinasours, why is it impossible to pop all the kernals in a bag of micowavable popcorn without burning it, what was He thinking when he invented mosquitos, how many kids should I have, and what job you should take are just a few of the questions the Bible doesn't answer. There are lots of times where I am feeling led to jump, but I just don't know if I should. That's where faith comes from.

Faith is believing that God is who He says He is and then putting that belief into action. It's scary to jump when you can't see the instructor. It's scary to jump when you can't hear the instructor whispering what to do in your ear. It's scary to jump in faith, but it's worth it!
 
Pictured Above: We were in free fall for almost a minute.
Pictured Above: They tell you in the class to arch your back and tuck your legs. I would grade myself at about a C. It's hard to control what your body will do when you are falling from 12,500 feet.
Pictured Above: In the video that I was making I was supposed to be screaming. It's hard to scream with that much wind attacking your face. It ended up making some really funny pictures.

Pictured Above: I finally got my face together to fake the scream. I know someone is going to ask but the answer is "yes I wasn't scared and yes I was faking the scream." It's called acting.
Pictured Above: The instructor tells you that on your first jump your ears might pop. So...yeah...that's what's going on here.
Pictured Above: The instructor tells you that if your ears do pop to plug your nose and blow. It worked.
Pictured Above: This is the second the parachute opened. I'm amazed at how they took pictures of every second of this trip. I have a lot more that didn't get featured in this post.

Pictured Above: That's our view once the parachute opened. Crazy huh?

Pictured Above: You land sitting down. I had no idea. I though we would land running in. It was very comfortable to land.

Question: When is a time that you have had to have faith in God?

30 comments:

  1. Every single move...I have to have faith that my kids will find nice friends, that we will find a church where we can serve and grow, that I can find a Bible Study group, that the schools will be good, etc...Right now, I have to have faith that I will find a house for our family for our time in Texas.  BUT, I say this with confidence because He has done it over and over, I know ALL of those will work out.  I love the time when I can look back and say, "See, He had it all under control."  It makes these times of uncertainty much easier to handle.  Thank you God that we can trust You are holding us in Your hands even though we can't see, hear, or feel You!!! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pictures that clearly demonstrate your insanity! I once had to have faith that a friend would survive when he kept insisting that he wanted to jump out of a perfectly good plane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely with our fertility issues.  It was the first time in my life that I realized I was NOT in control of this aspect of my life.  It took me a while to realize that I can't plan and control everything in my life and that I have to put faith in God that he knows what he's doing.  It's very hard giving someone else control of something you want so badly to happen, though..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courage and faith often go hand in hand.  Letting go and home schooling a child while serving as an administrative representative of a private school was a faith step that God used positively.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this post.  seriously. write the sermon that goes with it.  Paragraph 2 ROCKS.

    ReplyDelete
  6.  I'm a little sweaty nervous just looking at these pics.

    I have faith I'll never have to do what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  7.  Every time we've moved-- especially our move to Atlanta.  We knew God was telling us to do it, but we really didn't have the finances in place, and we were trying to get out of debt.  God was there, though, and taking jumps that he wants us to... it works!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quality comment my friend...quality.  

    ReplyDelete
  9. We will see. Maybe if we ever do a jump theme again? Or maybe I can squeeze it into a different series.  

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, I'm glad that you guys took the jump to come to the 757.  

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ricky, one day you and I need to do a co-author post on you getting over your fear of jumping out of a plane. Think about it. You getting over your fear and then actually jumping! Blogging gold.  

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danielle, that was such a huge struggle for Monica and I. When we started talking about going to the Jones Institute it had been 6 years of trying everything else. On the one hand I felt like I was playing God by going to them. On the other hand I was trusting that God could use medicine to help us. Fertility issues test our faith in God 100%.  

    ReplyDelete
  13. Colleen, where in Texas will you live? I lived in Ft. Worth for two years.  

    ReplyDelete
  14.  I can WRITE anything...

    ...but if you're talking about me actually jumping, then don't hold thy breath.

    I don't love blogging that much. You're far more dedicated than me, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15.  I second that.

    Don't know how you did that for 6 years, Rob. Two and half was more than enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyday!  And he always manages to ensure I land right on my bottom safely.  I could imagine that right before the parachute opens is a moment that feels similar to the moments in my life when I have JUMPED and then said "Whoa" how are you going to pull this off?  With God there it still feels scary but I enjoy it more than I used to because I have a PRO I can trust who will pull the parachute cord and I don't have to rely on my own inexperience.   

    ReplyDelete
  17. We'll be in Wichita Falls -- any knowledge of churches there?  Would LOVE a recommendation!
     

    ReplyDelete
  18. When we moved to Texas with no jobs so you could pursue your Masters- that took faith! We placed 100% faith in God during the 6 plus years it took us to get pregnant & look at us now! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  19.  The pictures are wonderful in demonstrating the experience.  Everyday there is SOMEthing that GOD shows me that I am not in control of in my life.  It never fails, just when I say, "I've got this" HE proves to me that I don't and that HE truly is the author and finisher of my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the pictures Rob.  I have never been skydiving but am willing to try it (as long as my life insurance is paid up).   comments are good also.  I have a whole bunch of questions burning in my brain but reckon I will trust by faith and move on. 

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Bill. Feel free to ask the questions. Maybe we can figure something out together.  

    ReplyDelete
  22. It works like that with you too? Thanks for the comment.  

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mon, I'm thankful that you have been along for this journey!  

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cara, I've asked the "whoa" question many a times.  

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm sure after the jump, your instructor told you that you did a good job and encouraged you.  That is what I would like.  After I take the jump and land somewhere near the mark, I would like to hear that I did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That would be awesome if God did that.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It was a God thing. He blessed us so much during that time. It wasn't easy but we always felt blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.