Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Is Your Life Like A SUBPlus?

There is a local dinning establishment that is called SUBPlus. Ever heard of it? I thought not. Now what stands out about this sub shop is the fact that it used to be called SUBWAY. Ever heard of it? I thought so. SUBWAY is HUGE. In fact this year it has surpassed McDonald's as the restaurant with the most franchises in America. I love SUBWAY. I keep hoping that I will be like Jared and lose weight on the SUBWAY diet. Did he eat the foot long meatball sub cause it's not working for me? I kid, I kid. I get a foot long roasted chicken on wheat bread with a little bit of lettuce, onions, green peppers, and lots of sweet peppers. I digress.

Now SUBPlus stands out because it used to be SUBWAY. Instead of completely remodeling after the take over they kept everything the same. The only visible change is that they replaced WAY with Plus. It's pretty funny to drive by.

It got me thinking about my faith in God.

The Bible says, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV). There are some aspects of my life where I feel like a new creation. There are other areas where I feel like I'm not that new.

According to this verse I am supposed to go from a SUBWAY to...let's say a Chipotle. Mmmm Chipotle! They kind of rhyme but they are very different restaurants. One serves subs and one serves amazing burritos. There are some areas of my life where there is a distinction like this. There are other areas where I say I'm a new creation but I'm really not that different. It's like going from SUBWAY to SUBPlus.

For years I've said that my favorite verse is the one mentioned above. I've been thinking about what it literally means to be a new creation. I'll tell you that it's not just changing a few things and hoping nobody will notice. It's having a complete overhaul because of what Jesus is doing in your life.

So what do you get at SUBWAY? What is your favorite Bible verse? Would you eat at SUBPlus? See you in the comments.

19 comments:

  1. I seldom eat at Subway now because of wearing braces (too much bread).  I do like their breakfast flatbread, but it causes me a lot of minutes of picking stuff out of the braces.  I know...TMI.  My favorite Bible verse for years has been Psalm 37:5.  Recently it has been Jer.1:17-19.  I would try SBUPlus at least once.  HOWEVER, I WANT CHIPOTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I am with you on Chipotle! Love it! I needed to read Psalm 37:5 today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Philly cheese stack on flatbread with southwestern sauce.2. Phillippians 6-7: Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

    3. Likely no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't go to Subway often, but whatever I get, I get it toasted.  When I was pregnant with James, I ate a tuna melt at least once a week from the SubPLUS (well, it was a Subway then).

    My FAVORITE verse is: 1 Thess 5:16-18 (mostly 17): 16 Rejoice always,17 pray without ceasing,18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.I may just go to SUBplus today. Just cause. I'll let ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving even from "good person" to Christ follower sets our feet on a different path. Yet, I am constantly aware that I am still a work in progress.  A favorite verse is
    Phil 1:6--"He who began a good work in you will continue it until it is finished..."
    Turkey on flat-bread with pepper-jack=340 calories and is my current fav, but I will exercise and push a little harder for Chipotle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite sub at Subway is the spicy Italian on white bread with mayo. lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, and green peppers.

    Psalm 27:1 "The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

    I would probably eat at SubPlus if it was close at hand, but I am really wanting to try Chipotle because of your many recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get a 6 inch ham & cheese on wheat with lettuce & light mayo. Boring, I know, but my staple since middle school. When feeling crazy I get a 6 inch meatball. My favorite verse is Proverbs 3:5- Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all of your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight.

    Maybe we'll visit Subplus this week. Ha! Like we'd waste one of our few chances to eat out there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a big Subway (or, SubPLUS) fan. I usually go for Quizno's or maybe a Philly from Gus's (which will definitely NOT make me lose weight like Jared). Way to take me from thinking about meatball subs to reflecting on the changes I've made to live for God, and whether or not they are enough. Just what I needed to hear. Great job, Rob :)
     
    My favorite Bible Verse is James 1:2-4 - "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daniel, what if we went together? It could be a blogging moment waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Phil 1:6. That verse gives me such hope!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meema92, you should try Chipotle. Just know that it took me three visits before I loved it. It's different. Let me know when you go and I'll prep you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not know that was your favorite verse. Good to know. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lindsey, Monica doesn't like Subway much either. She goes because of me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ate Subway last night and as I was finishing reading this post a Subway commercial came on. Weird! I love Psalm 46:1 NIV84
    God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble. I wrote about it today. I probably wouldn't eat at SUBplus... I'm a franchise kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joseph, that is weird...ironic? Great verse!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I pass that place on the way home from community group every week.  It has spawned lots of "faux-mercials" (that would be fake commercials, trademarked.) :-)  They're spokesman is 'Jordan' and they offer the '4 dollar almost foot long'.  Anyway, my favorite verse is Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  This has always stood out to me because it doesnt say all 'good' or 'happy' things.  God uses everything for his glory.  I have been tested like never before this last 18 months, but I believe deep down in side that somehow God will be glorified even if I cant always see it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. forgot to mention: Toasted Italian BMT with lots of veggies with sweet onion AND southwest sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the fake commercial idea. The almost footlong was really funny.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.