Saturday, May 7, 2011

Movie Review: Thor

I was out of my mind excited about Thor. I left feeling less then satisfied. Thor is one of the superheroes that makes up the super team called The Avengers. They are from Marvel Comics and in a genius move the company is releasing individual Avenger character movies that will ultimately lead up to The Avengers. The first in the series was Iron Man.

It's not fair but if this movie came out 15 years ago I probably would have loved it. Iron Man has raised the bar so high for Marvel movies that everything that doesn't meet it's standard leaves me feeling disappointed.

Thor has some good action, some really funny lines, and a stellar cast. You would think that adding all that together would equal an amazing movie. I think the problem is that the bar has just been raised to high. Thor kept my interest and was enjoyable, but it didn't leaving me wanting to tell the world to see it. It also didn't make me want to see it again. Just to put it in perspective I saw Iron Man three times in the theaters.

The good thing for me is that I wasn't a huge Thor fan going in. It's not like Superman or Batman for me. I enjoyed the movie and it's a respectable way to kick off the summer movie season. I give it one thumb up.
Rob's Rating System =
Two Thumbs Up - A great movie worth paying full price.
One Thumb Up - A decent attempt and worth seeing at a matinee price.
Thumb to the side - An ok film, but wait for video.
Thumb down - A stinker of a film. Don't waste you life seeing it. 

4 comments:

  1. ok, figured on a little let down with this one...glad it still got a thumb...will see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first robshep movie review in some time. Glad that you got a chance to get out and relax a bit. Did you at least wear your official Thor costume and carry your official Thor hammer to the theater to make the experience all that it could be? Maybe that was the issue that kept this from being a two thumbs up viewing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel Carman you might be on to something. Good thing Green Lantern is still coming out. I can try to do better for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @brian lots of people that I know have liked this movie a lot. I tend to be hard on movies.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.