Friday, July 8, 2011

WWE With God

Sometimes I want to wrestle God. I'm talking about acting like the Macho Man Randy Savage and I attempting to "OOOh YEAHHHH" off the top turnbuckle. I'm talking about laying an elbow smack down on God. Did you not grow up watching Professional Wrestling? Well, I did. I did and it leads me to want to attempt to put God in a full nelson. Can you imagine me in tights?

Let me explain why I want to wrestle with God. There are things that I am praying for and God seems to be silent. Things like...
  • My twins, Reese and Hayden, both have hernias. They cause them pain and they can't have surgery until July 25. I am praying that God heals them.
  • Family members to become Christ Followers. I hate that they don't know Jesus.
  • My hair. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a hair transplant. God did a lot of crazy miracles in the Bible. He once made an ax head float in water. If He can do crazy stuff like that then he can fix my hair. I'm praying that God will revive my hair and fill in my bald spots.
  • To hear from God. I have been praying for wisdom and God seems to be silent.
  • Why God didn't allow us to get pregnant without the help of fertility treatments. I am thankful for our twins but for six years I prayed that we could get pregnant without the help of fertility treatments. We ended up seeking help and I praise God that He used it to give us two kids. I just wish that He would have spoken to us during that time.
When I read the Bible I see amazing miracles happen. I want to experience a miracle of Biblical proportions. I'm not talking about the type of miracle that you see on late night Christian TV. You know the type that costs you money? I once heard a guy say that if people pledged money he would send them glow in the dark anointing oil and they would be blessed when they pored it on their head. Really? Really? I think that stuff is silly but I am tempted to try it on my bald spot. Do you think it would work? I kid, I kid. I'm not talking about the late night TV preacher miracle. I'm talking about God doing something that I can't explain.

Andy Stanley says, "You don't have to understand everything to believe in something." I don't understand God. I don't understand why God is silent. I don't understand why God doesn't intervene and heal more people who are hurting. I don't understand why God doesn't speak when I need Him to speak. I don't understand but I still believe.

There's a story in the Bible where a guy actually does wrestle with God. In the story the guy says that he is not letting go of God until God blesses Him. I don't understand God but I'm not letting go. I don't hear God but I'm not letting go. I don't see God but I'm not letting go. I am not letting go.

I'm not letting go and I love that God allows us to wrestle with Him. Think about it...the God of the universe allows us to wrestle with Him. When we wrestle we communicate. When we wrestle we reach out for God. When we wrestle we get to know God. I love that God allows us to wrestle with Him.

Did you grow up watching wrestling? Who was your favorite wrestler? What are you wrestling with God about.

32 comments:

  1. Wrestling to me was like listening to rap music or opera, or getting catheterized by a thick-handed nurse with the shakes. Let me be clear, I couldn't stand that stuff. That said, I still hear what you are selling today. I wrestle with God about lots of stuff. About why I am alone when I didn't used to be, about my daughter, about battles with lust, about depression, about how he seems to be way too subtle, when subtle doesn't work on me. I too go for long stretches when I don't hear a peep, a whinny, or a moo. Most discouraging. But, I still stay at it and still pray without ceasing. I figure that maybe if I bug Him enough he will listen (smiles).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I watched wrestling growing up. My favorite wrestlers were Lex Lugar, Eddie Guerro, and Sting. I hate to say that I'm wrestling with God, but I am currently struggling to understand the fertility issues we are facing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand wrestling. I might not be as passionately against it like Daniel, but it is absurd. I have been lazy with prayer, probably bc things are great. It's time to get in the game. I have some people in my life that need Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your honesty.  And humor.  I never watched wrestling.  But, it always humbles and inspires me to see someone sold out for God and honest about things like this... I so relate with wrestling with God.  It started when my nephew died about 4 years ago and now it is a full on match as I bed and plead for Silas' healing constantly. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. beg not bed - oops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your honesty and encouragement, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "IF YA SMELALALALALALLLLLL!"

    Nope- Never watched such ridiculousness in my life ;)

    This story is one of my favorites in the bible. That God allows and encourages such passion in our relationship with Him. I also feel it's one that most people probably don't even know and have difficulty understanding. Yes, Christians get upset with God. It's allowed. God encourages questions and us seeking Him out- not a blind faith.

    "And that's the bottom line, cause stonecold said so."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Supa Fly Jimmy Snucka. My fav growing up. Oh, and I was also an Ultimate Warrior fan.

    Don't watch it now, though...

    Thanks for your honesty in this post, so unfiltered - I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dustin, I loved the Ultimate Warrior. Hulk Hogan was always my favorite but the Warrior was awesome. I don't watch it now either but I loved it back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great comment. Thanks for the wrestling slogans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ricky. I figure someone else out there might be feeling the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie, I'm so sorry about your nephew. Many people are praying for Silas. That baby is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cyndy, Lex Luger and Sting are now Christians. They have pretty cool testimonies. Keep wrestling with God. It's worth it to not let go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daniel, so I'm still unclear...do you like wrestling? I kid, I kid.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never watched wrestling; however, Hulk Hogan once guest starred on the A-Team as a good friend of B.A. Baracus.  It was hilarious.

    Between this and yesterday's patience post on the Mandie Marie blog...well, you guys are making me do a lot of thinking.  I don't know if I want to throw things at you or thank you.  Can I do both?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember that. I think he actually was on two episodes. Hogan was always my favorite. And how about you throw a thank you at us?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is Mandie Marie's blog address?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this post rob. Thanks for sharing. I wrestle with God alot, and alot of times I don't understand the answers He gives.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What?!  You're right -- he was in two episodes!  I can't believe I don't remember the second episode.  I need to take care of this oversight as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OOooOOooOhh....you didn't KNOOOoooooOOOOW?!?

    Mandie Marie's blog address is right here.

    I appreciate your honesty. I wrestle with God. I know I'm not going to win (really, isn't it ridiculous to think that I have a chance?), but I do appreciate that God lets me duke it out. I also love the image of Jacob saying "I won't let go until you bless me." I'm not giving up, I'm not letting go of you until you do what you say you will do. It's tiring, it's relentless, but it's necessary. You gotta fight for it. You sometimes have to kick and scream your way to a blessing. I love that God provides us with the room to do that. Praying for those sweet wee babies of yours!

    The Hardy Boys (excuse me, Boyz) were favourites in our house. I distinctly remember my brothers attempting aerial moves in the basement. I also have scars from those times my brothers launched me through the air. Rug burn leaves marks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did not grow up watching wrestling - nor do I watch it now.  However - I wrestle with God about a relationship that went very wrong in my life.  Andy Stanley is right on - we DON'T have to understand everything to believe it.  And I believe that God is working behind the scenes - even when I feel that I have lost something. 

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cindy, sorry to hear about your loss. Knowing that God is working behind the scenes is one thing that helps me keep holding on. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you had great brothers. The Hardy Boyz were after my time but I did used to pile pillows on top of my brother and then jump off the couch onto him. Like I said...sounds like you had great brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read a really cool quote the other day that seems to apply here... God only has three answers, Yes, not yet, and I have different plans for you... continue to talk - he is listening and I am sure somewhere in the silence you will find his answer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Junk-Yard-Dog... came into the song "Another One Bites the Dust"

    ReplyDelete
  26. Powerful when someone get real like this Rob. I've gone a few rounds with Yahweh myself. Much of that was just me being a jerk, but you've got the right idea when it's about hanging on Jacob style. 

    ReplyDelete
  27. I liked Superfly Jimmy Snuka and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yeah, I watched wrestling growing up, every Saturday morning. I was mesmerized by  it. And even though people said it was fake, I didn't believe it. I was all about Hulk Hogan, I thought it was so cool when Hogan and Mr. T were in Rocky III, cuz I'm a big Rocky fan too. I didn't know Reese and Hayden have hernias. I'm sure that's not easy at all. I will pray for them. I wrestle with the daily grind, always feeling so busy, like there's not enough time in the day, and fearful that I don't make time for what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I grew up watching wrestling and then worked in pro wrestling part-time. Those were some crazy times.

    Don't think I could narrow down a favorite wrestler to one, but I'll throw out some names not mentioned here: Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, The Honky Tonk Man, Bret "Hit Man" Hart, Rowdy Roddy Piper

    Biggest thing I've been wrestling with the past 5 months is my dad ending up in a nursing home, having to sell my childhood home, and figuring out how best to take care of Dad going forward... sounds bad, but actually has gotten much better in the last month.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Low sperm count can hinder the chances of pregnancy a great deal. Men
    who need to boost their sperm may consider using Ginseng. Ginseng
    increases testosterone levels, improves libido, and also improves sperm
    count and motility, all while being an antioxidant as well. Ginseng is
    available in many forms from supplemental capsules to teas and even
    whole roots. While it may produce results on its own, its effects can be
    maximized by taking a blend of Ginseng with other fertility aids.

    One other such herb is flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil does not increase
    sperm count, but rather helps to ensure the health and vitality of the
    sperm. It really does little good to produce more sperm if they are weak
    and lifeless. Flaxseed help the sperm you do produce stay healthy and
    vigorous. Saw Palmetto is another herb that is good for male fertility
    as it is a natural s

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved this, Rob. Seriously great reflections. I'm wrestling with God for more of His glory. The huge stuff, like you said. Sometimes I feel like Moses saying "Show me Your glory!" Show it to me or I'm going to drop the People's Elbow on You! Um, maybe not exactly like that. But I think you get the point.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.