Wednesday, July 27, 2011

We Need A New Space Program

I wasn't alive when America first sent men to the moon. I was alive for Transformers 3. In the movie they show a little bit of the history of the space program. Russia sent Sputnik into space and America reacted. That led to what we now call the Space Race.

Now the thing that caught my attention is the way that people reacted to getting to the moon. People cried. Parades were held. Everyone was glued to their TVs.  It was a HUGE deal! Now I have a few friends who work at NASA and they are not going to like what I'm about to say. There is a great chance that my computer will get nuked and that I will go missing. If you are one of the few who gets to read this post don't tell anyone about it or they will morph you into a space chimp. I kid, I kid. Looking back what did going to the moon really do for us? It united our country! Other than that I don't know of anything significant that came from landing on the moon. I asked a NASA rocket scientist about this and he said that we got TANG from our experience from going to the moon. TANG is great! So we got tang and it united the country.

It made me think about how powerful vision really is. People will rally around a vision. People will sacrifice for a vision. People will become passionate about a vision. Even if it's a pointless vision people will respond. I think this has potential to impact our lives.

I heard Donald Miller talk about a dad who cast a vision for his family to build a home for underprivileged kids in a foreign country. His family was falling apart. His daughter was rebelling. He cast a vision and at first his family resisted. But after a while his whole family was dedicated towards the vision. His daughter stopped rebelling. They sacrificed. They gave. They built the home. They were changed by a vision.

The point is that even if a vision is pointless like landing on the moon it will be powerful. Maybe it's worth it to spend some time thinking about a vision for your family, life, job etc. At the very least you might invent something amazing like TANG.

What's another example of a vision that united people? On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being lack a vision and 10 being visionary, how would you rate your vision for your life?

16 comments:

  1. O.K., the obvious example to me of the vision-casting thing is Nehemiah rebuilding the walls around Jerusalem. As for what we got by going to the moon, the obvious thing that we got was the cool set where they filmed the whole "walking on the moon" thing. I believe that it still exists somewhere in Burbank. I have no vision for my life, which works out fine. I would rather not see where this train-wreck will end up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, it sucks that we are not sending anyone to space anymore. Blah!

    I think 9/11 casted a vision of unity. At least at the beginning. In my generation, I don't remember seeing the country so united. Granted, it didn't last very long, but it was beautiful to see.

    My vision for my life is a 8.2458.   I'm passionate, hungry but I need a bit more motivation. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered what space exploration has done for our lives as well so being a librarian, I researched a little and found this website: http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html

    Who knew Enriched Baby Food came from space exploration? Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Alicia's tactful way of pointing out the space program has contributed so many things besides TANG.  From medical CAT scanners, MRI technology, laser surgery, wireless communication,artificial hearts, smoke detectors, TV satellite, joy stick controllers, the list goes on and has made a huge impact on our daily lives.

    But, the point has to do with vision.  One of my early visions was to become a teacher--done.  Next vision to marry a Christ-centered person--done.  Then, to raise Christ-centered, independent children who marry Christ-centered spouses--done.  Now, I'm envisioning grand-children who will continue on as productive, independent, Christ-centered champions for God.  I always set new goals--vision for myself in my job.  Each year, I look for new ways I can improve the setting and raise the standard.
    Life would be rather dull, and boring if we did not have the vision to look beyond the moment and envision where we want to go. I'm probably a 7+ when it comes to vision.  I always have vision. Like the space program, I don't communicate it well enough for others to recognize the benefits, but while others see TANG, I enjoy a plethora of results from faith propelled vision. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everything in the space program happened for a reason.

    Wait...never mind.  That was yesterday's post. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alicia, that's the same type of stuff that D-Reeves told me about. I should have been more clear in my post. We got a lot of great things but it wasn't from actually landing on the moon. Seeing things on the moon didn't change us it was the team that was put together under the vision of getting to the moon. For example we didn't find aliens on the moon. We don't have houses on the moon. We didn't walk away from the moon and understand the human race better. We got a lot of good things but it was from the vision. Actually landing on the moon didn't give us much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. L. Ron Hubbard's vision of creating a real-life science fiction novel united people around Scientology. Pointless and powerful.

    Up until about 2 years ago, my vision rating had been about a 5. Since then, I'd put it at a solid 8...maybe even a 9!

    After 10, you skip directly to x-ray vision. Thanks to NASA (or so I've heard).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha, that's a very precise rating of vision for you life down to 4 decimal places, must have been a lot of scientific analysis on that one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Univision has somehow united a plethora of above average looking female co-hosts with below average looking male co-hosts.  Don't judge me, you know even if you don't speak Spanish you've let your channel surfing linger out of curiosity, almost like watching a train wreck in a foreign language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daniel, you have more potential then you give yourself credit for. It shows in your writing on your blog and your amazing comments on mine. Your better than that. I hope that doesn't offend you but you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Read what I wrote to Alicia. Agreed it brought a lot but the actual act of landing on the moon didn't better us. We got all of those things out of the vision. The point wasn't to invent CAT scans it was to get to the moon. And what did getting to the moon get us?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh snap...x-ray vision. That is my new vision for my life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's kind sad that our kids won't get to see that kind of stuff. The shuttle launches were always exciting. But I'm sure they will get to experience some pretty cool stuff we didn't see either.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.