Friday, July 15, 2011

What's In It For Me?: A Guest Post By Daniel Carmen

Today I come home from a week of Student Camp. While I'm on a bus for 7 hours you will be reading the last guest post of the week. Daniel Carmen is the most faithful comment leaver at robshep.com. If you have a blog you should pray that he discovers yours. He leaves ha-larious comments. He also blogs. Check it here.
_____________


My whole life I have had trouble fitting in socially. Whenever I make a serious effort to put myself out there, I seem to make such a mess. I cause people to push me away, to marginalize me. Over time my experiences have led me to keep mostly to myself, both laughter and tears. Now I tend to avoid getting involved with others. I mean once your fingers alight on the stove, you learn something you won't soon forget. That pointed, painful lesson seemed to be that letting others into your life can bring hurt. Can bring awkwardness. Can bring demands. ... So, what should I think when my pastor asked me if I would be interested in writing a guest blog for him?

Well, my instinct was to just ignore him, perhaps he would think that I didn't get the message, after all, what's in it for me? Yet my pastor is also, well, kind of a friend of mine. One of the few people that I know who takes me seriously, who listens to me, who lets me know in a Godly way that I matter, that I have value. So, I ultimately decided to write something, to give it a go. So here we are, but so what? Well, my whole point is about relationships. How even when we try to wall ourselves up, push away from others who might hurt us, we somehow know down deep, that this leads to an empty existence. We were made to be involved with each other and to encourage each other, and, well, to write something for our friends when they ask us. It is about stepping up and strengthening bonds.

Relationships span a broad spectrum. I mean there are all sorts and levels, from casual acquaintance, to co-worker, to friend of a friend, to family, to children, to spouse. They all have value at one level or another. I am now starting to appreciate that I need to approach them with purpose and with intention. So, today I might write a blog. Tomorrow I might share a cup of coffee with someone to talk about important things like sports or the weather. Perhaps one day I might have someone to share with when I feel lost and need encouragement. Better still, I might be able to offer a strong and safe shoulder for someone to cry on.

Whose shoulder do you cry on?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Daniel. Praying for your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your comments, your humor, and your honesty.
    Extroverts make a compelling case for socialization because it is the air they breathe, the source of their energy.  We all need significant others, but some in less
    quantity than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiles. you are that daniel...often wish we would have had more time when we lived in the same city...who knows, maybe yet again man...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good words brother, I agree with you that we all need somebody to le-ean on, whoops, accidentally broke out in blong (blog song).  For me this can be tough as I tend to make quick friends on the surface but don't go real deep.  That's one thing I love about Water's Edge Church, they consistently say we all need a group, I believe that's true and God wants us to be close to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of a line from "Field of Dreams" where Kevin Costner asks exactly the same question.  I cry on my husband's shoulder :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.