Saturday, July 9, 2011

Movie Review: Transfomers 3

Transformers 3 is a great action movie. Most people will love it. Some people will like it. Very few will hate it. It has humor, action, and really cool CGI. It's a great movie!

A great movie that I only gave one thumb up. Now if it's so great why did I only give one thumb up? Great question. The special affects are amazing and the action is off the charts but the plot and story are a little thin. Michael Bay is the best director of action sequences. He is not the best at character development. His movies are a lot of flash and bang with no substance. To me Michael Bay just needs to understand that less is more. The film is good but it's about 30 minutes too long. Like the previous Transformers movies instead of developing a character they simply add more humans. There are way too many human characters in this film.You don't get to know any of them. Instead you are left with an amazing action movie with very little substance.

In my opinion Michael Bay takes something that we love, action movies, and then just pumps them up with steroids. I often say of Michael Bay that if he ever made a cake he would add an extra pound of sugar, fry it, and then put fire crackers in it instead of candles. It would be glorious, but it's over the top. We already like cake. Why add so much fluff that doesn't matter. It's a great movie but it falls short of two thumbs up.

Transformers is rated PG-13 for lots of action/violence, some mild language, and a suggestive conversation.
Rob's Rating System =
Two Thumbs Up - A great movie worth paying full price.
One Thumb Up - A decent attempt and worth seeing at a matinee price.
Thumb to the side - An ok film, but wait for video.
Thumb down - A stinker of a film. Don't waste you life seeing it.
 
Have you seen Transformers 3? What'd you rate it?

17 comments:

  1. i was literally in pain with how many IQ points i was losing watching 2...i dont see myself watching 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly was confused during the entire movie. I felt like they traded the plot to add more action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob We were thinking of seeing that today. I always appreciate your reviews they are so helpful. Like the one you did for Super 8. Wanted to see that one but after your review I knew it might have been a bit much for my 8 year old in the theater he is good to watch intense stuff at home but the theater makes it seem so much more intense. It makes it hard since I have a 16 year old and an 8 year old so dad goes in one theater with her and I go in another with him, but he is getting better and I don't want to rush him : ) We did stop letting him watch the trailers at home before going since they always put the MOST intense scenes on there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll wait for it to come out on beta and then rent it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your rating system because -- except for two thumbs up* -- if I think it should be a different rating, I can just rotate the picture and pretend you agree with me!

    *(The bonus here, of course, is that I can give a movie two thumbs down.  I guess could give two thumbs to the side, too, but I'm not sure double ambivalence would make any sense.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh...i hope it is better than the first 2...maybe a redbox hit for me...when nothing else is available...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, it's way better than 2 and I think it's better than 1 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Burrill, I love your comments. I'm very thankful that Ricky connected the two of us. Funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cyndy, they pretty much did, but it's great action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael, it's way better than 2. If you liked 1 then you might like this one. It's got some great action in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My wife and I saw last Sunday. Went into it expecting "Baysplosions;" wasn't disappointed in that regard. The story, as you indicated, is rather thin. My take: it was better than 2, but not quite on par with 1. But what we do honestly want from a movie about anthropomorphic robots? Cinema verite, this is not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I concur.  Ricky is trouble, but he's GOOD trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very true. It's def better than 2. Two was hard to sit through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your review was spot on. I thought it was a great movie too. Filled with great action. It made me laugh more than I was expecting. I really liked the two little robots, I wonder if they survived. I  wish it had more substance as far as the story goes. And I thought it was a little long, almost 3 hours. But all in all, I really enjoyed it, especially since I saw it in 3D, that was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to see it... simply because I wanted to be Optimus Prime when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.