Friday, July 1, 2011

What's That Smell?

I thank God for my Diaper Genie. Now I was never given instructions and I'm pretty sure we are not using it right but I thank God for it. I know that you are supposed to hold the baby over it while they poo and it is supposed to keep the smell in. I'm not sure why we wouldn't just hold them over the toilet. It gets pretty messy. I'm kidding. I know that you throw used diapers in there. What took me a while to learn is how to change out the bags. I ended up destroying an almost full Diaper Genie liner because I didn't know how to tear the bag. I figured that out after the fact.

Here's what I don't know about...my brother says that their Diaper Genie gets really full. He says he knows when to empty it because diapers are popping out the top and you can't close the lid. My wife says that our Diaper Genie is supposed to automatically twist the bags for us. It doesn't and I can't wait until it's full to take it out. Here's why. After a handful of diapers are put into the Genie we will walk into the babies' room and smell poo. Now that's normal because I always smell poo now. The stank of baby poo has been embedded into my nose. So I first check myself to make sure none of their poo has found its way onto my body. I then check their butt by smelling it. I saw my wife try to check by cracking the diaper open. That ended up getting some poo on her finger. I'd rather smell it then feel it. I digress.

The point is that the Diaper Genie works great, but eventually the smell of poo will find it's way out of the Genie and smack me in the face. The other day it got me thinking about a verse in the Bible.

Numbers 32:23 "But if you fail to do this, you will be sinning against the LORD; and you may be sure that your sin will find you out."

It's crazy how no matter how much we try to hide our sins they find a way of creeping out. How many people have done things and thought they got away with it only to get caught at a later time? Sin is like a dirty diaper. It stinks. It needs to be taken care of. We can hide it but eventually the stank of our sin will come out.

Thank God for His forgiveness. Psalm 103:12 "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

When it comes to our sin we can either hide it or we can confess it. I don't know about you but I'd rather give it to God in confession than have it poke its ugly head out in the open.

15 comments:

  1. I love the parallel between the Diaper Genie and sin. Good post Rob! Confession is good and while we should do it daily (between us and God), there is something to be said for having a close friend join in prayer and confess aloud. Actually hearing myself confess is a little different and has deepened my relationship both with God and a few very close friends. Just a thought. By the way, the new format makes it easier for me. Don't know how you did it, but thanks. = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another poo-related post. Fatherhood sure has changed you man. It's amazing how poo is the springboard for so much theology! Wait, that didn't come out right. (Smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stench of sin stinks today, stank yesterday, and has always stunk.  Glad God provided a way we can deodorize our lives, not just mask the smell, but eliminate the source of the stench and neutralize the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny you should bring this up.  I was just in my car with my iPod on shuffle, and shortly before I finished my drive a Johnny Cash song came on, saying "...As sure as God made black and white / What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."

    When this topic comes up, I also think of another song that says "We can't run truth out of town, only force it underground / The roots grow deeper in ways we can't conceive."

    Both of which, of course, are just different ways of saying what the Bible has been saying for a long, long time.  And yet...we (I) still need reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right of course.  Sin is stinky and messy - but I have tried to hide mine - only to have it come out like a big POO - STINKY AND MESSY.  Did I say MESSY???  Oh my.  Yes.  Thanks be to God who forgives and cleans us up - so we don't stink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually put together a diaper genie for our church nursery the other day. I agree the whole bag thing is tricky. I can't wait to change diapers when my son Liam gets here in November... hope I don't throw up!

    That's an awesome verse Rob and I agree that we should give our sibs up to God. We all are going to miss up but by his grace we can live free from those mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a Diaper Dekor Plus. It's worked okay for three kids (all had ranktastic smellin' poo). I might be on the other side of the spectrum: I try to stuff as much dirty diapers in there as possible. My wife hates it (she refuses to take out the diapers b/c of the smell), but I consider it a game (in a weird way). LOL.

    (Btw, loved the illustration. Sin is ugly. It's poo-ugly.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dustin. The Diaper Dekor Plus sounds legit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear ya. I need those reminders as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Barb. I didn't do anything but select yes on a new setting. It makes it smart phone friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read "He says he knows when to empty it because diapers are popping out the top" as "diapers pooping out the top".

    Then I cleaned the coffee off my keyboard.

    Great stuff, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man I wish I would have written "diapers pooping out the top." That would've been great!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.