Thursday, January 13, 2011

So You Want To Be Fat And Lazy?

Have you seen commercials for the TV show "I Used to Be Fat"? While eating some reheated pizza, I found myself watching this show. You would think that watching a show like this would inspire me, but that pizza was about half a day away from growing penicillin. I needed to eat it before it went bad, right? On the episode that I saw, a teenage girl, who weighs 250 lbs, gets a trainer and loses 90 lbs. It was amazing!

What fascinated me was how her personal trainer pushed her. She was a lazy, whiny, spoiled brat. She would cry at the thought of working hard. She was so stubborn that most people would have let her be. Not this trainer. When she cried, he'd get in her face. When she would cuss him out, he'd say, "Cuss me out all you want, I'm not leaving." He tried multiple ways to motivate her. At one point, after she yelled that she hated him, the trainer got her to turn her yelling towards her work out. The girl ends up yelling the words that people used to call her. I felt really bad for the trainer.

After watching the show I had two thoughts...
  1. I would like to have a TV show pay for a trainer who could help me lose weight and keep it off. I exercise a lot, but I don't manage what I eat like I should. I also don't like to push myself when it comes to lifting weights.
  2. We are capable of a lot more then we give ourselves credit for. The girl on the TV show wasn't used to being pushed. She did what she wanted to do when she wanted to do it. The trainer pushed her to accomplish something that she wasn't willing to do without his help. I'd like to expand on this second thought...
I'd like to push the readers of robshep.com. I'm not fit enough to give a fitness challenge, so I'd like to give a spiritual one. What if we read through a book of the Bible together? I know what some of you are thinking...I'm too busy, I don't have time, or I just don't want to.  It's those type of excuses that made me think about this challenge. The girl in "I Used To Be Fat" had lots of excuses. She wanted to change, but failed until someone pushed her. She didn't want to be fat and lazy but it was easier then working out.

So here's the challenge...today I'm starting to read James in the Bible. James is one of my go to books of the Bible. I love James because I can understand it. He's straight forward. The book is five chapters, so for the next 5 days let's read James together one chapter a day. If my calculations are correct that means we'd finish on Jan. 17th. If you are interested leave a comment. If there is enough interest then I'll post a challenge each day to go along with the chapter. If there isn't any interest then no harm no foul. So who's with me?

21 comments:

  1. I'm all in.... I struggle with reading my bible and think this is a good challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the women in the show was so whiney and negative and set in her ways, I wonder why she decided to go on it in the first place and why she didn't give up when she saw what was involved. Anyway, I would love to read through the book of James with you. You can be just like my own personal trainer preacher man! Make me feel the burn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in. Chapter one of James tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the book of James. Its one of my all time practical favorites right next to Proverbs. I'd loved to read through it again

    ReplyDelete
  5. James 1, got it. Done and done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gonna give it a try : ) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll read it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard on K-love this morning that it takes 18 hours to read the New Testament and 70 hours to read the Old Testament and that you should be able to read the Bible effectively in 2 years if you pace yourself :)

    P.S. I saw that show today and it was NUTS---I still can't believe she lost all that weight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good challenge! I dont think I've ever read through the whole book...I'll have to do this.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.