Thursday, January 20, 2011

You've Drank Weak Sauce For Too Long

There is a trail in the 757 called The Noland Trail. Monica and I walked it one time and we thought it would never end. It's five miles of hills, roots, and pain. I know some crazy people who actually jog this thing. Years ago I heard it was the place to go if you want to get grown up-napped, gang raped, or buried alive. I'm not sure where these rumors started, but it didn't help my desire to avoid this place like the plague. Add to that some crack skinny, ultra physically fit, healthy eating people recently told me how difficult it was to jog, and you've convinced me to wait until they release "The Noland Trail" on the PS3 or Wii. To quote Jim Gaffigan I'm what you call "in-doorsy." In other words I'm not going there.

And yet on Monday I found myself on the Noland Trail. My friend asked me if I wanted to jog it and for some crazy reason I said yes. The crazy reason is I needed to run and I knew that if I didn't do this I wouldn't exercise that day.

Before I attempted to jog this I told myself that I wouldn't walk until I got to three miles. Multiple times I told myself that I wanted to quit, but I kept holding out for that three mile marker. We passed mile one and two and I started looking diligently for the mile three marker. I went as far as I thought I could possibly go when I gasped, "where is that three mile marker?" I was assured that it was right around the corner. To my delight it was right around the corner. To my surprise when we got right around the corner the mile marker said mile four. I ran four miles because I thought it was three. When we finished I said, "I wish someone would present me with a t-shirt that says 'I survived the Noland' when we finished."

This proved to me that I'm stronger then I give myself credit for. I hate any type of pain and I often stop short of pushing myself to the limit because I'm afraid of it. I need to stop drinking the weak sauce.

I'm 32 years old. By 32 Alexander the Great had conquered almost the entire known world. At the age of 30 Donald Trump convinced banks to loan him 80 million dollars to buy a hotel. Bill Gates was a billionaire by the time he was 30. Before he was finished with puberty Justin Bieber sold millions of albums. What's my point? My point is that if other people did great things at or before my age then why can't I?

People lose weight all the time and yet I've drank the weak sauce and settled. People have overcome  difficult situations. People without arms have become well known artists by painting with their feet. People who have been raised in abusive homes have gone on to become examples of healthy members of society. People with large amounts of debt have made changes to live debt free. People in marriages that stink have committed to loving their spouse and turned things around. People are stronger then they give themselves credit for.

There is a great chance that you have quit long before you should have. I know I do all the time. So in what area do you drink the weak sauce?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.