Monday, January 17, 2011

If You Play Quarterback You Will Take Hits

So how did your American football team do? I have to distinguish American football because of Australia. With two regular readers hailing from Australia, they are the second leading country to read my blog. I've had people from England, former communist countries, and Canada read my blog but it was for one time only. I have two blokes from Australia who read the blog. Did you notice how I used the Australian word bloke? Thanks to John Finkelde I'm bilingual. I digress...like I was saying how did your American football team do?

After watching some football over the weekend I had this thought. If you want to play quarterback then you've got to be willing to take hits.  The quarterback gets all the glory if the team wins, but he also gets a lot of the blame if they lose. The worst part about being a quarterback is that a bunch of 300 lb grown men get paid millions of dollars to try to tackle you.  Think about it...they get hit over and over again and aren't aloud to hit back. That stinks.  

Now I don't play quarterback for a professional team. For that matter even when I play pick up games of football I don't play quarterback. I can't throw a spiral. I may not play quarterback professionally, but I do act as the quarterback in other areas of my life. There are areas where I have to take the lead. With the lead comes hits.

As the quarterback you will take hits from people. People who want nothing more than to hurt you.  They will hit you with negative words that feel like a freight train.

Now sometimes I play the quarterback, but other times I play a defensive lineman.  I love playing the lineman because I get to protect the quarterback. Try to talk smack about my pastor and I'll flatten you. Try to hurt my wife with words and it's on like Donkey Kong. Talk about my friends and I like being a lineman. I've got their back.

You may not be a leader, but I bet you are around one. If your a dad you've got to protect your wife from attacks. Don't let the kids run over her or speak to her negatively.  If you are a wife don't let anyone disrespect your husband.  If you are an employee then protect your boss. Don't let people quarterback sneak and hit them with negative words. It's hard to be the quarterback. Thank God for linemen who do what they can to minimize the hits.

2 comments:

  1. A nice point of view. Most times I don't feel like the quarterback or a lineman or a receiver, more like the waterboy. Well, even they have a job to do I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH at last I influence international affairs!!!

    Who should I be backing Rob? I only like to follow winners!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.