Friday, January 14, 2011

Fitness Challenge Day 2: The Book of James

Yesterday I posted a challenge to read an entire book of the Bible together. That's right 5 whole chapters of yummy spiritual goodness. The goal is to read it, digest it, and allow it to change us so we are not fat and lazy spiritually.  If you are participating in the challenge how was day two? Here are some of my thoughts on chapter 2...
  • vs. 1-13 very convicting. How many poor people are even welcome in most churches? Not only that but it's really hard to not judge. Ouch!
  • vs. 14-17 Faith without action is dead! So you are telling me I actually have to live out what I believe? I'm so convicted by this. Last week I met a homeless women. I introduced her to someone who was going to help her. I passed her off and then didn't think about her again. Not once did I think about personally meeting her needs. I had cash in my wallet, and cash in the bank. I could have provided something for her, but it didn't even dawn on me. On the other hand a friend of mine went out and bought a boat load of groceries for this same lady. My friend then delivered the groceries to the woman. When I heard that I thought about this verse. I hope that my conviction can change my mindset. I want to meet people's needs and not just pray for them.
  • vs. 19 So the demons believe in God? The demons believe and their lives aren't changed. They believe and even have a response.  If you've ever been to a Christian camp then you know it's easy to get swept up in the emotion. You believe in God and then are moved by a message. Maybe you even cried. But unless your life is changed it doesn't mean squat. Faith and actions have to work together.
  • vs. 25 a righteous prostitute...interesting.
  • vs. 26 Just in case you didn't get it faith without deeds is dead. I love how straight forward and direct James is!

12 comments:

  1. Rob I am so thankful for this challenge and can't wait for what is next. Having been on the receiving end this past year has been such a testimony to me to see faith in action. It is not easy to be on the receiving end and I am learning that when you fight that you rob the person of being blessed by not letting them give. I am so looking forward to the time when we are in a position to bless others the way we have been blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you cheat and post this early?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. I posted at ten something last night. What a funny question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely HATE v.10 - "And the person who keeps every law of God, but makes one little slip, is just as guilty as the person who has broken every law there is." Aww come on. I understand all sin is abhorrent to God, but I am trying my best. But this makes it pretty clear that there are no big sins and little sins as many folks would have you believe. I try to use this argument to rationalize my own behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't expect to find it until this morning and then saw it last night

    ReplyDelete
  6. My insides are all in a knot over this one!!!! vs 20-24 seem to indicate that "believing" is an action verb. I'm struggling with that definition and how it fits with salvation as definted as "believing" Jesus is the son of God; that he came to earth to take on our sin so that we could be reconciled with God. I always heard this second use of "believing" as a head-thing, vs an action thing like with Abraham.

    Can anyone help clear up my muddled thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, I am posting the night of the day that I read the chapter. I am about to work on Chapter 3 and post it now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure I understand exactly so if what I write doesn't help ask again and I'll try over. Believing is an action verb. Believing = faith + action. It's having faith that God is who He says He is and then living for Him. That's what seperates Christ Followers from demons. The problem some people get into is that they think that they are saved because they do good works. Doing things for God doesn't change our status. God loves us even when we don't do good things. Doing action for God doesn't change God's perspective of us, it changes our perspective of Him. The more we put our faith into action the more we fall in love with Him. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that believing IS an action verb. your equation believing = faith + action is right on. and hard. and rewarding!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'm really saved because I "believe" or is there something I have to do (like Abraham) to show that faith in action.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill, does what you believe change your life? Are you willing to obey God? Jesus said that when you are saved you will see fruit. That is your actions will reflect Jesus. Don't get hung up on the one thing that Abraham did. That act didn't save him. What Abraham did was a reflection of his faith. Nobody is perfect...including Abraham, but he trusted God. Does your relationship with God lead you to love other more and obey Him more?

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.