Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Re-Introducing Hayden and Reese Shepherd

I don't think that I get shocked easily. In fact through the church I've counseled and or met people with the craziest stories. I even tell people before I counsel them that I won't judge them and they can't shock me. I've heard it all.  Yesterday I was shocked!!!

The week of Thanksgiving we had an ultrasound that confirmed that we were having twin boys. We told our parents and family. We told our friends. We told Waters Edge Church. We told Facebook! The Dr. was sure that we were having two boys. We were even given pictures to prove it. The following is the retelling of yesterday's Dr. appointment. To understand this story you need to know that my mother in law was with us.

This was our second main ultrasound where they double check everything in order to make sure the babies are ok.

Ultrasound Tech: "For a second there I thought there were three babies in there."
Rob and Monica: Nervous laughter because we thought she was joking.
Ultrasound Tech: "You aren't having three are you?"
Monica: "No. We did IVF and they implanted two in there. If one of them split they'd be in the same sack right?
Ultrasound Tech: Oh if you did IVF then there are only two in there.
Rob: Trying not to pass out.
Ultrasound Tech: (Not a direct quote because I was in shock thinking about three babies) "Oh there they are. I found your baby girl."
Monica: Uncontrollable laughter
Rob: Silence due to shock.
Monica's mom: You are kidding right? You've got to be kidding. You're joking aren't you?
Ultrasound Tech: I'm not joking.
Monica's mom: You are joking. I think you are joking.
Ultrasound Tech: "No that's clearly a girl. I haven't made a mistake in 14 years."
Rob: "EXCEPT FOR THE ONE WHERE YOU TOLD US WE WERE HAVING TWO BOYS" (that was my thought and it did not come out of my mouth)!
Monica's mom: (Jumping up and down over and over again) "That's what I prayed for. Prayer really does work. I've been praying that you would have a girl."
Monica: Laughing uncontrollably.
Rob: Silence.

The ultrasound tech became so nervous by our reaction that she tried to find our baby girl a second time. This time our baby had turned over and you couldn't see what was between its legs.  We left this appointment grateful that we are still having two healthy babies, but shocked. Here are some new pics of our now baby girl and baby boy...

Pictured Above: You can see to the left that this baby is clearly a boy.

Pictured Above: you can see to the left nothing but space which means this baby is clearly a girl.

So what does this mean?
  • At this point we are still keeping our names. 9 years ago we picked baby names. Our dream names for twins if they were opposite genders were Reese and Reagan. We talked about going to that, but we have had Reese and Hayden in our minds for a couple of months now. We also really  like the name Hayden for a boy. Because it took us 6 years to get pregnant and because this pregnancy hasn't been easy we may not be able to have any more kids. Combine both of those reasons and that led us to keep the names.
  • The superhero room that we were going to have is now dead and gone. It will probably be replaced by something to represent both genders. I heard Monica tell someone she was thinking of pink and green. I'm now thinking purple and yellow for the Lakers. Who knows?
  • Our son will have doubles in some outfits. We've already been given twin boy outfits. Some people have already told us that they will have to take back some outfits. We feel really bad about that.
  • We are going to schedule an appointment at "Fun Fetal Photo." It's a 3-D ultrasound where you get videos and pictures of your baby or babies. We weren't even considering this but now that we have been given two different answers about the genders we want to make sure. Oh and I want to make sure there aren't 3 in there.
  • I will probably freak out a little. I'm still in a state of shock. Girls scare me a a wee little bit. I know how to wrestle, talk sports, and play with action figures. I don't have a fat clue what to do with a little girl. I'm thankful and excited, but also shocked and scared.
So that's where we are at. We are very thrilled! The journey has been exciting and the babies aren't even born. Oh one last thing...the ultrasound tech said that in 20 years there has only been one time where she was surprised at the delivery. Meaning she could still be wrong? That's why we are going to "Fun Fetal Photo." I just don't want to get through all our baby showers only to find out that there are three babies in there.

32 comments:

  1. Hurray for healthy babies! Nothing like kids to add a little unpredictable spice to life--even before they are born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woot! this is awesome rob! you will be ok....the boys will still beout numbered, cause girls count more than once...hayden will be strong in the force...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i kinda love this, but at the same time, it makes me want to up my anxiety medication!!! oh my goodness!!

    you could still totally do a superhero room--hello, wonderwoman? supergirl? elastigirl?

    i DO love pink and green though--my ultimate color combo! (also my ccollege colors)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when God gives us a head fake and goes the other way! Blessings to you and M, ..., oh and Chuck and Norris, or maybe Chuck-ette and Norris or Chuck and Norris-ette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can hardly believe this, still! Whoop whoop! Lindsey, I get a little overwhelmed when I think about i!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best news is that both babies are healthy. Suprise for Reese being a girl and not a boy. You two are going to be great parents. I'm with Lindsey on the superhero room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this;) Sounds like a great appt:) So thankful for healthy twins:) And I think it's awesome that you'll have a boy and a girl;) Sweet times now and ahead;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love it!
    Rob, you'll know exactly what to do with a girl... every good Daddy does... snuggle, snuggle, snuggle, snuggle... and giggle a lot...
    And don't worry about having shared news before that may not be correct now; personally, I'm thrilled you'll have the joys of each gender...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to hear you talk about two things: Monica and the babies!!!!! You are just so "raw" and open when you do. It is awsome to get an inside look at your thoughts along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God is so great with surprises, isn't He? Just for the record, girls like superheros too. You could have a few female ones on one side and male ones on the other. And girls also love to wrestle with their daddies and talk sports (well, I don't but I didn't have a Dad into sports.) They also love tea parties and doing their daddies hair with clips. Hee. hee. So prepare for that! Thank you for sharing your great news!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really exciting! God just wants to keep you on your toes! As far as little girls, Studies show that girls who wrestle and rough house with their dads are more confident and sure of themselves.... we're big "living room wrestlers" here :) Congrats to you and Monica!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lindsey, we've talked about the superhero room, but I just don't feel like it's girl friendly. We will see. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim, thanks! It should be fun, but I'm still scared.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jill, thanks! I love to talk about them so I'm glad someone likes to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fulovnrg, thanks! It will be exciting if anything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bernatte, I agree about the best news!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still like Chuck and Norris. Who is going to mess with a girl named Norris?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brian, love the Star Wars reference.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting for you guys - congrats! I guess the baby girl "curse" at WEC is alive and well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. After 3 boys my dad was not ready for a little girl. They didn't know if I was a girl or not, but if I was, my dad was scared. My mom said the second he held me it was all over from there. He's been wrapped around my finger ever since. I don't think I've taken too much advantage of it (budget wedding-- that Nissan was my first car, etc), but there is such a special bond between daddy & daughter. Plus, you still get the boy!
    Don't worry about people exchanging gifts-- MUCH better that we all do in individually than for you & Monica to have to do it! And if there's 3, then we'll just have to buy more gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your blog and the way you write, Rob. This post made me smile.
    Stoked to hear the new good news! I like keeping the names- still works!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Hag! I appreciate the compliment. I think my writing style might drive my mom crazy because I write like I talk.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Susan, thanks for understanding about the gifts. Even though it's not my fault I still feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amy, your comment made me laugh. In all the excitement I forgot about that dang curse. You are right!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Garmentofpraise61, girls do like em but it feels more like a guy thing. We will see though. The tea thing scares me, but I'll manage.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i LOVE God's sense of humor!!!! She will melt your heart, daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm thinking you're having 2 boys and a girl! :) Praying for the entire Shepherd Clan!

    Debbie Deyerle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Debbie, that makes me nervous. Thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am SO excited! I'm glad that you're having one of each!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was looking back at the other ultra sound pics and it looks like two boys..... so nervous that the little girl was hiding behind her larger brother. Is that possible? But if it is just two (yeah, "just") I like the idea of keeping super hero....but purple and yellow are very good gender neutral colors. However it might stifle their thinking....perhaps they prefer green and white :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.