Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Things You Learn On Bed Rest: A Guest Post by Monica Shepherd

Monica has been a trooper. She's pregnant with twins and is nearing the end of this 9 month journey. She's out of work and forced to lay on the couch for fear of her legs swelling up like an allergic reaction from a radioactive bee. It's bad. Since she has some time on her hands she came up with the following blog. Enjoy.
________________________________________________
Top Ten Things You Learn on Bed Rest


10. Bed rest was not created for multi-taskers or people with ADD.

9. Trying to get up off the couch after an hour of laying there takes about 3 minutes.

8. Daytime TV and late night TV are awful. Worst info-mercials ever.

7. Every time you attempt to drink while laying down without a straw, it will spill. Every time.

6. Trying to “hold it” for just a few more minutes to avoid getting off the couch is not an option.

5. 7 pillows does not make bed rest more enjoyable; nor does laying on my left side which everyone seems to think will cure everything.

4. People want constant updates on the babies, but there aren’t any. Still on the couch.

3. People call when I fall asleep, without fail. You can keep calling, I have nothing to do but lay here.

2. We have amazing people in our lives.

1. These babies are loved by our family, close friends, acquaintances, and near strangers. That is mind blowing to me.

10 comments:

  1. My supervisors wife went into labor last night at midnight. That's crazy, he's gone for two weeks now. I knew someone was going to be having a baby last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny. I found myself thinking of a plus a friend once told me to laying on your left side. Who knew so many people thought it was so beneficial! Bed rest is defined differently by patient. It sounds like Monica has the right idea.
    When I was young, if we were sick and had to miss school, the rule was you had to be out until you were 'well for a day'. My mom took this as you had to 'be in bed well for a day'. Not a fun day. Glad to hear things are still going well. Keep laying there Monica... it's the best you can do! She won't hear that many times in her life. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list M. I have never experienced doctor directed bed rest nor have I experienced carrying twins (still got my fingers crossed on both of these though). Hang in there it will all be over soon. Actually, it will all be beginning soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good. I got on you should have added though. Bed rest was also not created for people who want to do things, but they can't because their backs will give out on them too easily. I guarantee I'm not one of those people who are calling you when you fall asleep. I'll be praying for the two of you and your babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those babies ARE loved!! Even though we haven't been in on the journey very long, it's exciting to see a miracle happen. Y'all have made everyone feel like we're a part of your journey, too, and you're pretty lovable people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time I come over, I will come up with an old-school human video for your viewing pleasure! It will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very gracious to allow all of us into your journey. Blessings to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Monica, it's weird how the grass is always greener on the other side. When I'm at work, all I think about is going home and laying down in bed. You did that for many days and all you could think about was being productive. CRAZY. I can't wait to meet the babies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bed rest makes the day seem SO long. My sister was on bed rest for several months and it was very hard! SO glad that part is over now! It is time to enjoy the babies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. not sure where i fit in on the list in 1. but i DO love these babies!!! and ya'll!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.