Friday, March 18, 2011

How To Get A $52 Shirt For Free

I got a $52 shirt for free. This shirt to be exact...
Here is how to get a $52 shirt for free. 

Step 1: Go to one of your favorite stores to buy jeans. In my case it was the GAP.
Step 2: Pick out a pair of jeans that are 2 sizes smaller then the last time you bought jeans. Yay for me.
Step 3: Glance up at a little tiny sign that says "Buy Any Pair of Jeans and Get Any Shirt For Free."
Step 4: Ask an employee what that sign really means.
Step 5: In my case the employee didn't know what the sign meant so I'd hope for the same when you try to get a $52 shirt for free. The employee then went to ask the manager as I tried on the jeans.
Step 6: The manager comes to find you quickly because the sign was supposed to be taken down a week ago. She then tells you that because you spotted it she will still honor the sale.
Step 7: Now I didn't want to pay $52 for jeans. I was hoping for a sale. When I saw a shirt for $52 I thought I can live with a pair of jeans and a new shirt for $52. So step 7 is find a shirt that is the equal value of the jeans that you are looking at.
Step 8: Thank the manager for hooking you up with a free shirt.

Now if you follow these 8 easy steps it will guarantee that you can get a $52 shirt for free. Okay that is just a wee bit silly don't you think? There are no steps to repeating what happened to me. It was a unique circumstance.

It's funny to me what people try to put steps to. For example falling in love. People say things like all you need to do is be content with who you are and then when you least expect it the right person will come along. So when I was single I tried to punk God by pretending to be content. That was step 1 and I wanted to get married so I had to follow it.  Love doesn't work that way and I don't think that God does either.

I have heard people talk about God doing something in their life and then I've tried to copy it. After all I wanted God to move in my life. What I found is that God doesn't often repeat Himself. There was only one man who made an ark to escape a flood. There was only one Shepherd boy who slayed a giant with a sling shot. There was only one man who spoke to God through a burning bush.  God made you unique so why try to copy someone else? Your sense of you humor, your personality, your look are unique to you. So be you. Be confident in who God created you to be because only you can be you.

I think we are often so afraid of rejection that we hide our true selves and copy everyone else. God made you for a purpose and when you act like someone else you can't do what God created you to do. Be you. Seek God and live in confidence that He made you for a purpose. You are unique and cant' be duplicated.

What unique quality do you think God has given you?

6 comments:

  1. God has made me really good at napping. Oh, what a freakin' unique "gift". Other than that, I got nothing. Good shopping skills man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough to look at yourself and honestly say what gift God has given you. I sure am enjoying the ride to find out what it is, though!

    And it totally drives me nuts when people put steps to falling in love-- or with the do's & don'ts. I know someone who refused to go on a date with a guy because he asked her on facebook. Now I'm not saying that's the classiest way to ask, but this particular person is constantly looking for her one true love. She often doesn't stop to think that maybe her gentleman won't meet her at church and then knock on her door with a horse-drawn carriage... maybe her love story will be a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great analogy. Billy and I are always talking about how "how-to" books are silly in most cases of real life. Just because something worked, or happened, to someone else doesn't mean it's going ot happen that way for you. Especially with relationships I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can touch my nose with my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not necessarily unique, but to have received God's grace & forgiveness in high school amongst my circumstances was life changing & path altering. I wouldn't be the wife, friend, or teacher I am today. I also feel that compared to most girls I don't struggle with insecurity & rarely care what people think.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.