Monday, March 21, 2011

Friends

Friends...
  • Don't think less of you when they see the worst in you. In my case it's at the beach with my shirt off.
  • Don't judge you for being different then them. In my case it's having a love for the Lakers and all things Superheroes.
  • Celebrate when you win and don't get jealous. In my case all I do is win. I kid I kid...that's a line from a rap song.
  • Can just hang out and not have to be entertained. In my case that's every time we hang out. I stink at making plans and I love to just hang out.
  • Help you in areas where you are weak. In my case that's with fixing and installing things. I thank God for my friends who have installed my toilets, put together baby furniture, installed my wireless Internet...the list could go on and on.
  • Get annoyed with each other, but quickly forgive. In my case it's a good thing that I have forgiving friends.
  • Are friends forever if the Lord's the Lord of them. Um wait...isn't that from an 80's Christian pop song?
  • Can get jealous when their friends spend time with other people. In my case it's because I hate missing out.
  • Are more than a collection of people on Facebook. In my case I love having a lot of Facebook friends, but I am thankful for the one's that I get to live out their status updates and not just read about. 
I've been asking a lot of people who they hang out with. It seems that once people have kids they lose touch with a lot of friends. It takes effort to have friends and to keep them. I am thankful for my friends and I hope to be able to make time even after our twins are born.

Who are your closest friends and what do you love about them?

11 comments:

  1. Love your list. I would list my closest friends, but that is still a work in progress. I am giving it my attention though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having kids does indeed change things. BUT, your true friends will find ways! (and, luckily, you have a LOT of people who will babysit for free! that helps IMMENSELY!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend who reaches through the stages and ages of life, who was there when I was growing up has a special indelible link. Other friends were special for the time but have moved on--I value who they were in the moment, and it is perfectly ok that we have not stayed connected. I have always loved friends who laugh often and who are real. I also love friends who challenge me spiritually. Every age has a need for friends--close, significant people who help affirm who we are.

    The role of friends changes as our connection with family increases/decreases. As a child family is the center of our universe; as we separate and seek independence, family is still important, but friends become front and center. Then with parenthood, friends are still important, but family once again becomes the primary focus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife... I think this goes without saying for most people (their significant other being their closest friend), but she truly is... I try to be pretty transparent, but I'm the most transparent with my wife and she loves me despite the fact that I can be a pretty awful person. My transparency with other people has a filter. With my wife it doesn't so much.

    I think closest friends are made because of time spent with them more than anything. I love friends that support you no matter what. That have differing views on things but that doesn't hurt the friendship. Like you said, with close friends just hanging out is enough. We have several really close friends and you guys are some of our closest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. friends love you in spite of you...or maybe even because of you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh is my best bud! The one person I can say anything around him and mess up a zillion times and he'll love me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope I do. With twins people may not be so happy to babysit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friends are encouraging and tell me the truth even when it might hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shun off.

    But only because of those eyes of yours. They're just so dang beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are blessed to have those type of friends.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.