Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Song Grenade Is Catchy As All Get Out And It Reminds Me Of Jesus.

Unless you live in a cave and were raised by wolves...scratch that...Even if you live in a cave and were raised by wolves you have probably heard the song Grenade by Bruno Mars. I bet the wolves howl that tune at the top of their lungs. It's that catchy.

Grenade is mad catchy and I hear it everywhere. American Idol - check. Grocery stores - check. Multiple radio stations playing it at the same time - check. Church lobby - check. TV - check. I think you get the idea. It's popular and it's being played everywhere. Oh and by the way I am kidding about the being raised by wolves thing. If you haven't heard the song then it's probably because you have more important things to to do then listen to pop music. I respect that.

After listening to the song for the umpteenth time I got a little emotional. The chorus to the song reminded me of Jesus. Read the lyrics and see if you can smell what the Rob is cooking.

Cause what you don't understand is
I’d catch a grenade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
Throw my hand on a blade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
I’d jump in front of a train for ya (yeah, yeah , yeah)
You know I'd do anything for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah)
Oh, oh
I would go through all this pain,
Take a bullet straight through my brain,
Yes, I would die for ya baby;
But you won't do the same.

I understand that Jesus probably wouldn't say baby, but I do think He'd throw in the yeah, yeah, yeah because it's oh so catchy.  I kid I kid.

I know that Jesus died for my sins and yet I often struggle to die to my sin. I hold on to my selfishness all the while knowing that Jesus took a grenade in the form of a cross for me. He went through all of that pain, and sadly I often find myself not doing the same for Him. I am reminded that I am in desperate need of a Savior. Sure I have been saved, but I am being saved as we speak. Even though I am a pastor and a Christ Follower I am still in desperate need of a Savior!

"In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood." - Hebrews 12:4. Think about this verse. In our struggle against sin we haven't done everything necessary to overcome it. In other words we are holding on to it. We are afraid of doing what it takes to die to our sin.

"Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:7-8.  I praise God that He took a grenade for me.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Rob, great way to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, it's great to hear from you on the blog. I didn't know you read it. How is FL?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard this song before. I guess this just proves that I am old. Perhaps I should just go to the cat store today and get the complete look. Oh, and why is the dude in the video dragging a piano around town?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great contemporary comparison. Thanks for giving a fresh jolt to a spiritual truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sanctification is like a slow crawl through mud on the edge of a rocky cliff...but remember that when Jesus took the cross for you He wasn't thinking of a future version of you. We tend to think we are awesome and our future version will be even more awesome. In reality we won't be awesome in 3 months either, but He will still love us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down, but something tells me Jesus wouldn't go *quite* this passive-aggressive on us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never even heard of this song, but I like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Billy, thank God that He still loves us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daniel, I think it goes to what I said in the post...you have better things to do. Or you zone out at church because this song plays while you stand in the lobby and during the preshow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll occasionally see it pop up on Facebook and will read one, always good stuff. I'm actually back in the 757 now working in Norfolk, I need to come back by WEC soon.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.