Thursday, March 24, 2011

Running Sucks

I don't think I'll ever enjoy running. I started back in September and I've kept it up. I've lost about 8 lbs and I am up to 8 miles. Well, I did 8 miles once and I don't have a desire to do it again. Last week my friend asked me to jog a 5 mile trail. I like running with other people because it helps A. To keep me accountable. I wouldn't go a lot of days if someone wasn't counting on me to show up. B. I go farther when I jog with others because for some reason it helps me get past the mental blocks that I can't destroy on my own. The jog wasn't bad but I'm still feeling the results. The following picture was taken on Tuesday night...

Yeah that's gross. It looked even worse on Sunday night when it started spontaneously spewing some kind of liquid. On Monday it spewed so much liquid it soaked through my sock. And it caused me to limp. To quote myself...that was gag nasty.

Needless to say I think running sucks. Running sucketh (King James version of suck) for multiple reasons.
Running...
  • is hard work.
  • takes discipline.
  • hurts.
  • gets easier, but it never gets easy. Just when I think it's getting easier I up my miles or I hit another mental block.
  • is better done with friends then by myself. A lot of times the only reason I jog is because a friend asked me or because I already committed to go with a friend. I also go farther with friends. I think it takes away mental blocks.
  • affects your entire body. Joggers nipples...Google it. No wait. I don't know what images will come up when you search for that. Instead just click here. I mean seriously...what else can make your nipples bleed?
  • takes time.
  • costs you something. It takes time and it hurts. Plus you have to pay to have good shoes, jogging socks, and to run in races.
  • sometimes doesn't seem worth it.
I don't think it's a coincidence that the Bible compares a relationship with God to running a race. "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever."

A relationship with God...
  • is hard work.
  • takes discipline.
  • hurts. Jesus said to follow Him we must take up our cross. Last time I checked that wasn't painless.
  • gets easier, but it never gets easy. I've been a Christ Follower for years and every time I think that I've got it down Jesus shows me another area where I need to work on.
  • is better done with friends then by myself. A relationship with God wasn't meant to be done alone. We need other people to keep us accountable, spur us on, and be there when we are weak.
  • affects the entire body. A relationship with God affects what I look at, what I say, and where I go. It affects my whole being.
  • takes time. Just like it took time to get up to 8 miles it takes time to develop a relationship with God.
  • costs you something. Actually it costs you everything. Jesus said "For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it."
  • sometimes doesn't seem worth it. When I see people who don't obey God and seem to have a great life I sometimes wonder if it's worth it. Then I remember what Jesus said, "What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?"  

    15 comments:

    1. Hilarious and thought provoking at the same time.....and hmm yeah the foot blister issue is seriously "gag nasty". Love the shirt, and keep up the good work.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Great analogy, Rob. Have you gotten any weird looks while you're out running in the new shirt? And for the record, "gag nasty" is charitable for that blister... Good for you for keeping at it, though!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Great post today. Love the line "the quote myself". You only get stuff like this at robshep.com, or at gagnastyfeet.com. But I think I will stick with this site. Have a good one.

      ReplyDelete
    4. First of all; your awesome, second; we should run this weekend.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I just got the shirt so this weekend will be my first adventure out with it. How far are you running these days?

      ReplyDelete
    6. Will do. The Richards gave me that shirt. Love it!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Love this. Even after years of running there are days think its going to kill me, in both types of "running". But sometimes the results may just be subtle changes in us that others notice before we do. Keep up the good work!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Not far, actually. I usually slack off in the winter, just because I don't want to get stuck out on a run when it starts snowing. I kid, I kid! I'm mainly doing the loop here at KC, which is about 3 miles. Let me know if you want to go run sometime!

      ReplyDelete
    9. GROSS! And I LOVE that shirt. That is awesome.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I'd love to run KC sometime. Let me know when you are going and I'll try to make it.

      ReplyDelete
    11. You look so tough in that picture. I'm glad your foot feels better. We looked pitiful both limping around!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Love this blogpost! Love the shirt! Your blister is way worse than my toe. That for sure is a notch in your runner's belt:-)

      ReplyDelete
    13. Love this blogpost! Love the shirt! Your blister is way worse than my toe. That for sure is a notch in your runner's belt:-)

      ReplyDelete

    Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

    Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.