Monday, March 28, 2011

The Pain Before The Miracle

I am blown away by the love and support that people have shown for our yet to be born twins. I feel like they are rock stars. People genuinely care about them. Like in a stalk Facebook status for updates, buy gifts, clean their room in prep for their arrival type love.

I was reflecting on why they are getting so much love and I think it's because people have been apart of the journey.

The journey involved six years of waiting. It involved doctors telling us that we couldn't get pregnant without help and then getting pregnant without any help. It involved hearing a nurse tell us that our miracle baby was dead. That was the worst moment of my life. The journey involved multiple failed fertility treatments. It involved Monica giving herself shots with a gigantor needle only to have nothing come of it. It involved paying lots of money for in-vitro fertilization. It involved our first 20 weeks of pregnancy having multiple scares. A couple of times we were convinced that we lost the twins.

Now we are potentially seconds away from having these babies. Can you dig it?!!

I wish that we didn't have to wait 6 years. I wish we didn't lose our baby to a miscarriage. I wish that we didn't have to pay a boat load of money to get pregnant. I wish we didn't have to go through so many scares after she got pregnant. I wish it was easier, but then we wouldn't be experiencing a miracle.

If people didn't go through pain they'd never experience a miracle. A miracle is more then finding a great parking spot at the mall. It's more then having your team come back to win a championship. It's even more then a brand name for a gag nasty substitute for mayo.

Coming on the other side of this miracle is amazing, but waiting for it was hard. The Bible is full of amazing miracles. Reading through the Bible it's easy to forget how hard it was for the characters before their miracle. We know how the story ends. Every time you read the story of Joseph it ends with him ruling over Egypt. Every time you read the story of Job it ends with him gaining more riches and having a new family. Every time you read the story of Mary it ends with the miracle of Jesus' birth. What we often skim over is that before Joseph ruled Egypt he was in prison. Before Job got a second family he had to live through the news of his first family dying. Before Mary had Jesus she had to think about the potential of her life being ruined because her culture would have stoned her for getting pregnant out of wedlock. It takes us seconds to read, but they lived it out in real time.

Nobody wants to go through pain, but we wouldn't experience the miracle with out it. I know that someone reading this is hurting. I know that someone reading this is holding out for a miracle. It's not easy, but on the other side of your pain is a miracle. Hold on.

I can't wait to tell my twins about how they are our miracle.

26 comments:

  1. I'm just thankful to be on this journey with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty profound thought: "they lived it out in real time". Big encouragement for me today... thanks for the reminder of hope...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post Rob! Your twins are truly a miracle from God and we couldn't be happier for the four of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my most favorite of your posts!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this. so excited for the shepherd family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your attitude. This is a good post. Thanks, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said..You seemed so calm when we spoke at service last night..It is the patience of waiting for your miracle..praying for you and Monica..

    ReplyDelete
  8. you inspire me, Rob. thanks for being so transparent with your life and faith in your blog. it really encourages me daily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to meet your twins and tell them they have the most amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the energy and excitement and passion in your words today my friend. As we said the other day, I am pretty sure the twins were a decision based on having plenty of material to blog about. I will continue to pray for you and M for now and for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Rob and so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sheepishly admit that I came across this blog entry while Facebook "stalking" updates on Monica and the twins. Praying for their safe arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Rob. Praying for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great reminder and post! SO happy for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy for you both and will be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your insight ~ great encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My wife and I tried for 6 years as well. 8 times we tried IVF with no results. I remember i was the one with the gigantic needle trying to read a hand drawn instruction sheet trying to figure out were it went. Unfortunatly, the stresses of unsucessful IVF was the final blow to our struggling marriage and we are no longer together. I understand now I was expecting a miracle without trusting God. The great things God can do only come about when you trust in his plan. In all the stories you outlined in your blog (including your own), unwavering trust in God was the driving force behind those miracles. At the time, I didnt have it. I now trust God beyond all my understandings, and I know one day, my miracle(s) will come.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry to hear about your loss and struggle. I love the Christian story though. It's amazing how God takes our hurt and pain and makes it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No need to be sheepish about it. We love that people care so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. Thanks Lauren. I am amazed that God uses this blog. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks! I am pretty calm right now. Just wait till I get the call that they are coming.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad I read this today. My faith was strengthened by the reminder that the pain is necessary for the miracle to arrive. Good message, Rob. Very good message.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So excited to be around for this miracle. All my prayers -- can't wait to SEE the miracles!!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.