Monday, March 7, 2011

Babies, Farts, and Other Reasons Why I Don't Like Flying

I flew to LA and then back to VA this past week. It reminded me of why I don't like flying...

  • They make it awkward when they don't give you the entire can of Coke. The stewardess or the male version of a stewardess asks if you want a drink. I say I'd like a Coke. They poor the can of Coke into a little plastic cup and then place the last two sips in the can back on their cart. Is it rude to ask for the last two sips? I don't know! Don't make me ask for the last two sips. Why can't they just give me the can? Give me the can!
  • Flights charge for everything. It's already expensive but now they want to charge extra if you check a bag, want to load on the plane early, or sit on exit row. $20 extra bucks to sit on exit row. They also charge extra for wifi. Seriously? Everyone gives wifi away, but not flights. Instead of making me pay extra for the Internet why don't you just give it away for free.
  • Delays. Without a doubt there will be a delay. For this past flight we were delayed because they were checking out the plane. Then without an explanation they boarded us. Then after we boarded they asked us to get off the plane. Then after standing in the aisle for 5 minutes they announced that someone who was trying to fly to Buffalo, NY, and was on the wrong plane. We finally left and I got home over an hour later then scheduled. Now that's not that bad except for the fact that I missed the Grand Opening Party of my church because of it.
  • Unnecessary rules. Do we really need to turn off all electronics or is this really about them trying to control us. Don't tell anyone but I kept my iPod on the entire flight and we didn't crash.
  • Smoke Rooms. In the airport they have entire rooms dedicated to smoking. I'm scared of that room. I don't really know why I am scared of it but I am. There is something scary about a room that is filled with smoke. You'd think the smokers would be in paradise, but have you ever looked in there. No one is smiling. They all look unhappy and everyone gawks at them because for some reason they put them in a glassed in cage like at the zoo.
  • Airport Food. Airport Food is expensive, and unhealthy.
  • That expensive unhealthy food leads to farts. How do I know? Well I not only smelt it but I also dealt it. I flew with a plane full of farters. The ventilation isn't great on a flight and when someone farts it sticks for a while. It's not fun when it's not you doing the farting.  
  • Why isn't their a doctor on board? Flights should come with a doc just in case someone has a heart attack, a rash breakout, or gives birth.
  • No one pays attention to the flight attendants when they give the rules. This concerns me because if we go down I want people doing what they are supposed to be doing. Oh and why don't planes come with parachutes? A cushion that floats isn't going to help unless I crash in the ocean.
  • Lost. Have you seen the first episode of the TV show lost? I am pretty sure it's a reality show and on the first episode the plane breaks in half. 
  • Lost Luggage. Whenever I can I try to carry on, but when I do check a bag there is a great chance they will lose it.
  • Awkward conversations. Do you talk to the person who sits next to you or do you sit in silence? I once sat next to a lady who had pet rocks. She introduced me to her rocks one by one and then talked to them. This was before iPods so I had no where to go.
  • The pat down. I am not sure why they randomly select people to pat down after going through security, but they pat you down without a reason. I asked the security guard if it was good for them after they patted me down. They didn't have a sense of humor.
  • Babies. I feel bad for moms who have to fly with babies. I really do feel bad. But at the same time I feel that the airline should make a sound proof room in the back of the plane for all moms with babies. Either that or give people without babies a discount. I hope that's not mean, but on my flight to CA there were 2 screaming babies. I know one day soon that could be my wife with the 2 screaming babies, but I'd love to put them in a sound proof room so they don't bother an entire plane.
  • I will give one positive. I do read a lot when I fly. I read a lot and reading is a good thing.
What do you hate about flying? Or What do you love about it?

28 comments:

  1. I haven't done a tremendous amount of flying (ironic huh? since I work at an AIRPORT)...so flying is still an adventure for me...I'm a big kid...anyway my ear's go nuts when I fly...chewing gum, yawning, holding my nose and mouth closed and blowing....nothing fixes it, and I remain 75% deaf for the rest of the day. I do remember when we took the red-eye to England on our way to India and this chap sat on the aisle seat, boozing and laughing at lame British comedy all night! no and when they fed us this "indian" food (which makes me gag even now remembering the smell mixes with liquor) he shoveled it in and slurped it down...yeah that sucked

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fly more than I would prefer, but my problem is, as you know, I am about 7'3" tall, and the plane seats are separated so that my 50-yr-old Ken doll would complain about leg room. Oh, and what's the deal with the inverted-comma shape of airline seats. I suspect they were designed by a person with severe scoliosis so that he, and only he, would be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree flying is expensive, uncomfortable, tiring, and nasty. Even with delays, it is still the fastest way to get where I need to go or I would never fly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of the times that I have had to be on a plane, it was very hot. Even on cold days, the plane is hot - and those little round circles for ventilation - you have to stand up to even feel them. I am not a good passenger on a plane. I don't like strangers, and you practically have to sit glued to the one beside you. Not a fan of flying at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a lot of things that while they can be annoying, they're for our safety. So the pat down? Just part of a flight-- I have a choice to drive if I want to (or take a boat). Turning off electronics? It's not going to kill me, and I'm a guest in their airplane. It's so random radio waves don't interfere with the navigation and flight control stuff. Sure, it doesn't always happen, but I'd rather not have issues while taking off or landing just because of someone's iPod.

    So I guess I embrace that stuff about flying. I feel bad for the crying babies mothers who are probably embarrassed and definitely want their kid to stop crying, too. Don't get me wrong-- I hate flying, but I appreciate the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hate: I hate everything about flying. In fact I hate it so much I don't do much flying. I think the best thing about flying is the view from the window, that is if you can get a window seat.

    Have you ever been to a Salt Lake City airport. Not just the airports but on the planes. They have the worst air. It isn't fresh air, it is stagnate, stale air and you can barely breath there. Not only that, the air is stuffy feeling. If I had to guess, I'd say they're trying to kill their passengers before they take off. They only finally turn the fresh air on once they have finally departed. Once while we were there waiting for our flight to depart, we were delayed while they tried to find a captain to pilot the plane. The worst part was they made us wait ON THE PLANE for what seemed like an hour or more with no air except for that awful stagnate, stale air while they tried to find a captain.

    As a side note, not everyone gives away Wi-Fi. Starbucks charges for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha. been a while since i flew, but used to all the time...i like meeting the people on the plane...the cool thing is they may never see you again, so you can be anyone...i think the pet rock lady was having you on...lol. turbulence is probably my least fav, but it has led to some funny stories...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian, she wasn't. She was special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, I don't think even Starbucks charges anymore. I heard they were giving it away free now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still not sure an iPod can affect things. They have wifi and xm radio on during the entire flight. If that doesn't affect it then I don't see why an iPod would. But I do appreciate that you appreciate the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daniel, I agree about the chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to know more about Daniel's Ken doll! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I added the bit about Ken because I heard that he is 50 today. I was trying to be topical. I don't actually own a Ken doll (anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  14. starbucks has free wifi as does mcdonalds and panera

    ReplyDelete
  15. From 1999-2001 I flew back and forth from Hampton Roads to Korea 6 times. The shortest flight I remember was 12 hours, and thats from LA. They served Korean food on the flight which is heavily ladened with exotic seafood. The smells on those flights were, how does Rob put it, GAG NASTY! I realize that was 10 years ago, but every flight I have been on since has not seemed so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Geoffrey, I need to fly to Korea then. Maybe that would help me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I knew I heard that. Thanks Bernadette.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lock yourself in a hot tool shed with a pound of squid for 12 hours. That would reasonably recreate the conditions and would save you money. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to travel, so I'll take the good with the bad!! I don't mind the rules so much, but I agree with you- I'd like them to be wild & crazy and give me the whole can. I always ask for it anyway & they are nice about it. I find it super entertaining that 9 out of 10 times you get stuck by a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Actually I haven't heard that. I guess I'm slow on my times. No I don't watch news, I dread it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. After the takeoff, I am a-ok. It's that takeoff that kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't mind flying...anymore. Now that Anna is old enough to carry her junk with her through the airport...but I can not tell you how horrible it was carrying a baby, while pushing a stroller, carseat and diaperbag through the airport...only to realize that there wasn't enough time to change her diaper before getting on the next flight. Flying with babies is tough and I think babies often feed off of mom/dad's emotions. When mom and pop get frustrated, so do babies. Plus, they often have to get up at the crack of dawn to catch a plane or miss a nap or bedtime. I have had MANY a passeneger help me with Anna. One dude even offered to hold her for me so I could lug her HUGE diaper bag out from under the seat. Whew! It's tough work. Thankfully, I can honestly say, Anna is an excellent traveler probably because she's had TONS of practice. She only cried once on a flight which is saying a lot because we had LOTS of flights between Maine and VA when she was little (I flew home 2-3 times a year). Actually, I've flown more with Anna than any other person in my family. BUT, I felt totally helpless the one time she did cry for all 2 hours of the flight. I never did figure out what was wrong with her. She was fed and changed and just wouldn't relax so she could fall asleep. So, now, I try to help moms with little children/babies because I know how hard it is to fly....HOWEVER...my real pet peeve when flying is kids who misbehave when they are old enough to know better. I've had to deal with that on the last 2 flights we've taken...inconsistent parents who don't follow through lead to poorly behaved children. Anna is NO saint be she knows better than to pull that stuff...and especially NOT in public.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Toni, would you have liked a private room for babies in the back of the plain?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hate being that high up. If I could fly about 10 feet off of the ground--that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.