Friday, December 3, 2010

Fat People At Buffets

I like buffets. Let me clarify...I don't really like the food at buffets. It's often a lower quality and I feel the pressure to eat a lot. Because I paid for all I can eat I feel the pressure to fill my plate multiple times. I waddle out feeling guilty and overstuffed.  What I like about buffets is that there is always someone fatter then me there. Compared to some people at a buffet I look skinny. 

Now hopefully the last two sentences don't sit well with you.

In life there is always someone worse off then you. There is always someone uglier. There is always someone meaner. There is always someone who sins more than you.

There is a HUGE temptation to compare ourselves to other people. As long as we can find someone who is worse off then us we don't have to really look in the mirror and change.

The problem with comparing is that when we find someone worse off it leads to pride. On the other side of the spectrum when we find someone better then us it leads jealousy, resentment, or we just find a way to tear them down.

I think the way that God wants us to live is to only compare ourselves to Jesus. When we are better than others, but compare ourselves to Jesus we are still not perfect. It's kind of hard to be prideful when your standard is perfection...not the obeser (I think I just made that word up) person at the buffet.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh .... now I feel complete. It's just not a complete day until I leave my comment on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.