Friday, December 24, 2010

I Am The Main Idea

My name is Rob and I am the main idea. It feels wrong to write, but it's how I live. I far too often live like I'm the center of every one's attention. When I get angry it's not a righteous anger because there are wrongs in this world. It's because I didn't get my way.  I spend most of my time thinking about things that affect me. I make decisions based off what is best for me. The crazy thing is that I'm not alone. Most people I know live like they are the main idea.

It's Christmas Eve. As a Christ Follower it should be a reminder about who really is the main idea. God sent His one and only son to be born. He was born in a stinking manger. The hotel had no vacancy. There was no fan fair or parade. He didn't throw a press conference letting the world know that Jesus was taking his talents to Bethlehem.  He simply sent His son to be born...born to die.

In the Old Testament people always wanted to know God's name. It was a way to feel control over the god that you served. All the other countries had names for their gods.  It makes sense that when God appears to Moses, Moses asks what His name is.  God responds with I Am.

He won't fight to be the center of attention. He allows us to pretend to be the center of the world. I may act like I am the main idea, but when I do it's showing that I've lost sight of I Am.  I Am is the main idea.

This Christmas the food may not turn out right. You may not get what you asked for. Your relatives will drive you crazy.  Traffic will be like a swift kick in the face.  We can get upset and put our focus on ourselves, or we can remember what it's really all about. I Am is the main idea. Let's give our attention where it's due.

7 comments:

  1. AMEN! and Merry Christmas! Praising God this season for WEC, its staff, and your babies!! 2011 is gonna ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, you are up early. I woke up at 5:20 excited about Christmas Eve! I can't wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Lebron reference you dropped in. Great message, but I am confused. You say that it is all about you, but I am quite sure it is all about me. ... Guess we both have some work to take care of. Good talking to you yesterday for a bit. Looking forward to worshipping with y'all today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think the notion, "remember the reason for the season" that is on the lips of all Christians, including the nominal ones, is a silly last ditch effort at making much of Him...because we don't see the reason for EVERYTHING is Jesus, for Jesus, and by Jesus...Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, you hit the nail on the head. I'm gonna keep the last paragraph as a wallpaper on my phone today as a reminder. I like that so much better than "Jesus is the reason for the season." Although true, He is the reason for everything, and I know I needed this reminder today. Thanks. You do make a difference.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.