Monday, December 6, 2010

I Think You Forgot My Invitation

Have you ever not been invited to something that you thought you should be invited to? In a world of Facebook and Twitter it's easier then ever to see something and feel left out.  When someone leaves you off the guest list there are a handful of ways in which you can respond...
  • The Direct Route - This is where you call or message them and ask for an invite. This is awkward and not recommended. If they didn't invite you it was probably for a reason. Don't make them feel bad. If you do they probably won't invite you the next time either. 
  • The Indirect Route - This involves calling them and asking them what they are doing. You already know, but they may not know you know and they might invite you. This may get you a pity invite, but it's a little high maintenance.
  • The Guilt Route - This involves making them feel guilty for not inviting you. It may get you an invite the next time, but understand it's just because they feel bad and not because they want to hang out with you.
  • The Assumption Route - This involves assuming that the reason you weren't invited is because they are mad at you. Most likely they are not, but you can check with them anyway. It's sad for me to write, but this is where I fall. It's pretty self centered to think that you weren't invited because someone is mad at you.  It's kind of assuming that the world revolves around you and the only reason someone wouldn't invite you is because there is drama. Every once in a while you just didn't get invited. If you don't get invited multiple times then it's ok to ask if everything is ok, but wait to see if there are other signs of them being upset.
  • The One Upper Route - This is the person who will immediately plan a different get together and post it for the world to see. The thinking is that you'll show them not to invite you.
  • The Pacifist Route - This person doesn't do anything because they don't like confrontation. This is a pretty safe route unless you let your hurt feelings build and you never communicate them.
  • The I Don't Care Route - This is the person who says, "I don't care that they didn't invite me." For the rest of us that don't fit in this category it's hard to imagine that this person really exists.
  • The Be the Friend Route - In my opinion this is the best option out there. This route is about being the type of friend that you would want to be. It's understanding that sometimes you don't get invited and that's ok. Instead of being high maintenance you focus on being a good friend. You make the call and invite your friends out. The idea here is to be the type of friend that you would like to have. 

4 comments:

  1. You're too young to remember, but there was a Seinfeld episode about this very topic. Jerry did not get invited to a New Year's Eve party when the rest of the gang did. Jerry forced an invite, but was not really welcome or supposed to be there. I tend to fall into the category of silently pouting, holed up in my bedroom closet. It is there that the seeds of revenge are planted. I generally tend to write a manifesto at this stage. Shortly thereafter, my wild revenge scenario plays out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, this JUST happened to me last month... we didn't get invited to a wedding we thought we would. We almost crashed it, but decided to "be the friend" and just not go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the "I don't care route". We get invited to plenty of stuff, so I don't feel left out. I figure there must be a reason if we don't get invited & I like to avoid drama at all costs. I might have felt differently a few times in high school, but I'm pretty secure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith, I think that shows how mature you guys are. Not everyone can respond that way.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.