Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Movie Review: True Grit

My dad loves westerns. They are his super heroes.  Did you know that there is a cable TV network dedicated to all things western? There is, and my dad watches it.  Growing up I was often exposed to westerns that my dad loved.  Some how I missed the original True Grit. I've seen images of John Wayne's Oscar winning performance, but I've never seen the film.  I say that because I had nothing to compare when I went to see the Cowen brothers (Directors, writers, and brothers) version of this classic. 

I loved True Grit. I thought the acting was fabulous. I thought the story was engaging. For me a test of a movie is how much I care about the characters. Many times I watch a film and think "all these characters could die and I wouldn't think twice." I want more than some good special affects and a few explosions. Movies I love are movies where I connect with the characters. True Grit is one of those movies.

It's the story of a 14 year old girl who hires a marshall to kill her father's killer.  Hailee Steinfeld plays the young girl and if she doesn't get an Oscar nomination it's a shame. This isn't a movie that I would want to watch over and over again, but I thoroughly enjoyed this film.  It's rated PG-13 for violence, and a few swears. I give it two thumbs up.

Rob's Rating System =
Two Thumbs Up - A great movie worth paying full price.
One Thumb Up - A decent attempt and worth seeing at a matinee price.
Thumb to the side - An ok film, but wait for video.
Thumb down - A stinker of a film. Don't waste you life seeing it. 

5 comments:

  1. funny--andy's first comment when we saw a preview was "oh, that takes guts to remake a john wayne film." we, too, watch the western channel. (well, he does. i sit there)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice..i like a good western every once ina while....def want to see this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I def look forward to seeing this, I have heard numerous great things about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like it has been a while since you posted a movie review. I have seen the original several times, but that was a lifetime ago. I have read some reviews of the new version and they seem to have generally good things to say. Glad you got a chance to get out and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would agree about relating to a character. I have watched some of the worst movies, but fell in love with a character and the movie becomes one of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.