Saturday, December 4, 2010

Movie Review: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1

I'm not one of those Harry Potter fanatics. I've never read the books. I couldn't tell you the difference between Gryffindor and Muggles. I wouldn't dare knock them. In fact I understand where they are coming from. I've been a HUGE Star Wars fan for years. I have also been known to get pretty passionate about Super Hero movies.  With that being said if you are a Harry Potter fanatic please understand where I'm coming from in this review. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is part one of two for the final Potter films.  If you haven't seen the six previous films I'd recommend watching them before you take on this film.  Like all the Potter films this movie is well done and entertaining. There is action, more humor then I remember in any other Harry movie, and great characters.  It's a good movie. 

Since I'm not a passionate Potter fan I felt like this film was way too long.  The problem with books based off movies is that the passionate fans of the books want every detail covered in the movie. I'm assuming the film makers were doing their best to make the book fans happy...for me though, I could have done without about 45 minutes of the film.  I'm sure the Potter fans appreciated every detail, but it was a little long for the casual fan. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is rated PG-13 for intense wizardly action, a covered but naked Hermione, and some English swears.  I give it one thumb up.  

Rob's Rating System: Two Thumbs up = I loved it, worth paying full price.
One Thumb up = A good movie, worth a matinee showing.
Thumb to the side = Wait and rent it.
Thumbs down = I hated it, wish I wouldn't have wasted money on it.

2 comments:

  1. I have not seen a H.P. movie in the theater. I have seen 3 of 4 on T.V.. I have enjoyed them and bet they would be really cool to see on the big screen. I will wait to see this one on T.V. as well.

    By the way, it seems like forever since you posted a movie review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite enjoyed the movie myself! Good review, Rob!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.