Monday, December 20, 2010

BOO

I was recently watching the Lakers play the Washington Wizards.  During the game the TV camera found Donovan McNabb sitting court side.  As soon as McNabb was shown on the screen the Wizard fans started booing him.  In case you don't follow sports let me explain why this is interesting.  McNabb is a pro athlete but he plays football not basketball.  He plays for the Washington Redskins. I found it interesting that people would boo another human being while they weren't playing a sport. Sure I'm use to people booing the other team, but this seemed a little silly. 

It made me think about why we don't boo outside of the sports arena.  I mean when athletes get boo'd they don't react. They don't even respond. It's a way to let them know how you feel without any consequences.  So your boss tells you that you aren't getting a raise - BOO! Your kids give you lip - BOO! Someone shows up late for a meeting - BOO! Someone is driving below the speed limit - honk your horn that now makes a BOO noise.

Sports fans are very creative with their boos and chants.  I I've heard fans chant "OVER-RATED" to a player who hasn't met their potential. Imagine yelling that at another co-worker.  When I went to the Finals to see the Lakers play the Celtics the Celtics fans would chant "UGLY SISTER" whenever Lamar Odom shot free throws.  Lamar is married to one of the Kardasian sisters...that was a funny but very mean chant.

Whether you are a sports fan or not I hope that you can see some humor in booing non athletes. It would just be silly.  I don't know why people think that different rules apply to them when they are in a sports arena. I tend to lean more towards treat others how you would like to be treated.  Whether it's the way you talk behind some one's back, what you say online, or what you yell at a ball game your words reflect who you are.  I say when we can why not try to cheer people on instead of boo them.

4 comments:

  1. This is a lesson I am still learning as I grow up and get older. I was very acid-tongued as a younger person. Now I try my best to encourage. I am not perfect, but I have come a long way. Yet I would still boo at a sporting events, especially if my team makes a critical mistake or they run out of beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so gonna find a way to boo you at work this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I'm going to cheer you on for leaving a comment. I prob guilted you in to leaving this, but I'm thankful none the less.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.