Tuesday, December 28, 2010

TMI = ME Part 2

A friend recently told me about an article he read in Newsweek.  People were randomly surveyed and asked how often they went to church.  On average people answered that they went twice a month.  The problem is that according to church attendance those numbers don't add up.  They then changed the survey to ask what people did over the last month.  Without feeling the pressure of being judged about not going to church people answered honestly.  The new survey showed that their church attendance was much lower then on the survey they answered before. 

I don't know where it comes from but there is something in most of us that desires to please people. Most of the time it's not even the people we know. It's an imaginary group of people that we may never meet, but we sure do work hard to impress. It's why people feel the pressure to say they go to church more than they really do. It's why people feel the need to lie when the phone wakes them up.  You were sleeping, but for some reason when the person on the other side of the line asks if you were sleeping you lie.  It's why we try to keep up with the Jones, lie about our age, and pretend to be better then we really are.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't care about what others think about us. I'm not saying that we should be rude and say everything that's on our mind.  What I am saying is that people are going to judge you no matter what image you portray.  You might as well let people know the real you.

I'll give you an example of a potential TMI blog. This year I blogged about going to see a Christian counselor.  It wasn't easy blogging about it. My first thought was that people would judge me and think less of me. It wasn't easy, but for me it was the right thing to do. Through that blog multiple others ended up seeking help through a Christian counselor. 

I'm not perfect. I am going bald and I did go to Hair Club for Men. I am overweight. I do collect action figures and cardboard cutouts. I still like watching cartoons and playing video games. I hate jogging and I do sometimes get joggers nipples. I don't like pets. I don't know how to fix things and I hate mowing my lawn. This is who I am. Some people aren't going to like me. Some people are going to judge me, but when they do they will be judging the real me and not an image of who I want them to see. I hope that through my TMI people have been able to laugh, but more importantly I hope that people have been able to relate. Maybe just maybe through all my TMI someone might be able to become a better person.

9 comments:

  1. A question that I often ask myself is whether by my actions or way of living people could observe me and know that I am a Christian. Getting to know you a little bit over the past several years has been very helpful to provide me with an example of how to live in a way that agrees with my faith. Now this does not mean that I am looking to you to live some perfect life. In fact, you often teach me more by your shortcomings and failures than by anything else. Your honesty and TMI is a blessing for me! Have a great one today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TMI to strangers maybe...but all those things you listed Rob, those are things that make us love you. (even a stranger will connect with the truth in your blogs). It's never TMI if it's intentional and purposeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love TMI! lol! Seriously, I do, I love knowing that I'm not alone and that others out there have similar thoughts, quirks, habits, etc. I'll often tell my hubby about reading your blog and how weird it is that some of the topics are things he and I were just talking about ourselves. I think most people if they were really honest would be surprised at how similar so many of us are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kelly. That's interesting about you and your husband. You'll have to let me know the next time that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You list all the "negative" things about you, which I get is the point of the blog, but wanted to let you know when I think "Rob Shepherd" my immediate thought (and this is no joke) is the greatest example of a husband that I know, loyal (can't imagine how patient you had to be with me as a middle schooler, wow), and a lover of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Billy that was a very kind comment. I appreciate it. You were always known as the coolest middle schooler in the history of the world, so you weren't that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's awesome that you're willing to show the world the real Rob- and I like you more for it :) Lol- and thanks for adding the term "joggers nipples" to my vocabulary- I will keep that one handy.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.