Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mind Dump

My brain is constipated with random thoughts. It's time to free up some space with another Mind Dump...
  • I jogged on Monday night and the jog was poo. Literally. In the neighborhoods that I run in they had just put down fertilizer. It smelt like poo for almost the entire run. And that my friends is what we call gag nasty.
  • Speaking of jogging, if you run but hate it like I do then there is a great new website for you. If you are a regular at robshep.com then you no doubt know who Trip and Tyler are. They have started a new website called Reluctant Runners. It's great!
  • At what point do couples start calling each other babe? When I was in high school I vowed to never call my wife babe. I would hear married people do that and think "Silly adults. Don't they know each others names." But then I got married and the babe calling snuck into my vocabulary.
  • Before kids I would wonder when parents start calling each other mom and dad. Before kids I vowed to never call my wife "mom." That's just weird! My kids are 11 weeks old and the mom and dad name calling has already started creeping in.
  • The Dallas Mavericks won the NBA Title. When I was in Texas for seminary we watched the Mavs play a few times. I am a die hard Lakers fan, but I feel like we still won. The team that beat my team won the title. That is a moral victory for me. Hey, it was a rough year for the Lakers. I've got to hold on to whatever I can.
  • Before the finals I was ready to put Lebron James in the best of all time category. He has a long way to go before he gets to that status. Wow. I don't want to bash on the guy but he will have to win multiple titles to recover from how poorly he played in the fourth quarter of the Finals.
  • Mt. Dew is the Mac Computers of soda. People who drink it are a wee bit fanatical and deep down inside they know that they are better than everyone else.
  • It's summer movie season and that means movie reviews for robshep.com. Now, people often tell me that they enjoy the movie reviews but according the stats people don't read em. I'm not looking for a compliment. I honestly want some readers feedback. On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you enjoy the movie reviews? 1 being I could care less and 10 being love em.
  • A friend, Brandon Price, posted the following on my Facebook page, "Have you ever met a person who is always sincere, cares about others as much as he cares about himself, has a heart of gold, loves his wife and kids with all his heart, loves Jesus like no other, takes his own time to teach others about Jesus and always influences people to be the best they can be? I have......His name is Rob Shepherd. THX Rob for being such a positive role model to our youth and for sharing your life experiences with us. You are truly a special person and whether you realize it or not you are effecting peoples lives everyday in a positive way."  Wow! Every pastor and church staff needs people like Brandon in their lives.
  • This is the most boring time in sports. The NBA is over. The NFL hasn't started. It's just baseball. I enjoy baseball live but it's a wee bit boring on TV.
  • My wife watches the Bacherlorette. That show is the TV version of a "do me" novel. You know the books that have Fabio on the cover in a shirt that is falling off and are all about cheesy romance? That is a "do me" novel. I'm not judging you if you read them or if you watch the Bachelorette I'm just sayin' that they are similar. I watched five minutes of the show and that girl kissed 72 different guys. She is falling in love with all of them. I'd rather watch anything else.
  • Speaking of anything else, do you remember Fear Factor? I just read in Entertainment Weekly that Fear Factor is coming back. My wife loved that show when it was on. I enjoyed it a lot more than the Bachelorette.
  • Do you like milk? I like it for it's milk mustache celebrity ads, cookies, and cereal. I am not passionate nor do I know anyone that is passionate about milk. That was until I met people who drink Oberweis. Oberweis milk drinkers are fanatics. Oberweis delivers the milk like something out of your parents childhood. That's cool, but I can't imagine the milk is that good. I'm still waiting for my sample. I am supposed to get one from one of the guys I work with.
  • I INTERRUPT THIS DUMP WITH AN UPDATE: i HAVE NOW TASTED OBERWEIS AND IT'S GOOD BUT IT'S STILL JUST MILK.
  • Oberweis makes chocolate milk that is really good, but I said that it's not any better then any other store bought choco milk. My pastor said that it was way better. I said that I bet he couldn't tell the difference in a blind taste test. He said he could. I went and bought 3 things of choco milk. He guessed wrong. It was fun. Two other WEC staff member tried the blind taste test and they both failed.
  • Speaking of drinks...Mtn. Dew White Out is amazing. I am pretty sure I heard my taste buds scream "Thank You Master Rob!" after I drank it.
  • I need my hairs cut. My head is looking shaggy.
  • My dad landed a role in a Steven Spielberg movie. It's a principle role which means he will have speaking lines. He tells me on the phone that Steven wants him to grow a beard. Who gets to say that? The greatest director of all time wants my dad to grow a beard.
  • In case you are new to the blog my dad is an actor. He has worked a lot but is still looking for his big break. You can see him in Evan Almighty, Clear and Present Danger, and Major Payne. He also has done for TV a Hardee's commercial, Unsolved Mysteries, and Homicide. My prayer for my dad is that he would get his big break and make a difference for God in Hollywood.
  • Every time I go to the doctor my weight is significantly higher. Like between 4 and 6 lbs. My theory is that clothes, keys, and a cell phone make up the difference. I'm tempted to pull a boxing weigh in the next time I go to the doctor. What if I stripped down to my underwear and then flexed my biceps like the boxers do? The doctor has my weight on record so that makes it official. I need that thing to represent how much I really weigh.
  • Public high school graduation for the 757 is this weekend. That means that I get to go to graduation and grad parties!
  • Have you ever had a pee shower? I have. Score another victory for my son, baby Hayden.
Whew...I feel better now.

22 comments:

  1. O.K., this list was a great way to start my day. Variety, humor, issues, pee, and poo. Who could ask for anything more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,amen!and thanks for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't hate on Mountain Dew just because of a particularly fanatic intern ;-)

    But, to keep the metaphor going, if Mountain Dew fans are like Mac fans, then _______ fans are like PC users.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, your Mind Dump days are always a bright spot for me~ please, don't ever stop clearing out here for us to enjoy! :) See you next week! Can't wait to meet your kids (I love being able to say that..."your kids" it makes me tear up, smile bigger than I thought possible and thank God Almighty for being a God of miracles and grace!) 

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Brett started talking he began calling Brandon and I by our names so we stated calling eachother momma and daddy. I still call Brandon daddy.
     
    Loved watching Fear Factor...Could never particpate but enjoyed watching.
     
    You are a very special person...not just because your married to one of my favorite people on earth...but also for all the things Brandon posted. Thank you for being who you are..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your movie reviews so I would say a 9 or a 10 on your scale. With money being tight, it's nice to know if I should pay the $10+ for a movie or wait and watch it on Netflix. Keep them coming, Rob! Great post today! I really like that running website too. Funny stuff! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill, my dad is Bob Shepherd. He shows up in the funeral scene for James Earl Jones...if you have the wide screen version. He gets cut out if you don't watch the widescreen. Most the things that he works on he is an extra in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pleasure. Tell Steven I said hello.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed on Oberweis... same goes for their ice cream. It's just FROZEN MILK. They just like to brag that they buy their milk in glass bottles, I think. Great throwback idea, until your 5 y/o drops it on the floor and it shatters. Trust me... you'll be crying over spilled milk when it cost $4 a gallon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike, I don't hate. In fact I am a Dew Fanatic. Not as big of a fanatic as Thomas but I love the stuff.

    If Mtn. Dew fans are like Mac fans, then Pepsi fans are like PC users. There are a lot of them out there but they aren't that passionate about their beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Ruth! I can't wait for you to meet the twins. They will love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alicia, thanks for the feedback about the movie reviews. So far they are still on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Russ, all I can say is YES! Well that's not all I can say because I'm still typing. I can also say that it feels nice to have someone agree with me about the Oberweis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed reading this. And yes, I've peed in the showed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am now following reluctant runners

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dustin, but have you ever had a baby pee on you so it felt like a shower. That is what I meant and it was gross.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhh.... well, yes, in that case I've had/done both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always enjoy reading your blogs, I sent an article to you on Twitter about Lebron, curious what you think. The boxing weigh in at the doctor's office would be a hilarious    skit I bet. 

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the site recommendation Rob! I checked it out and I love this reason for being categorized as a "Reluctant Runner"  :
    We don’t eat healthy, but rather, we run so we can continue eating garbage.

    -That's where I fit in... and the slow part. I used to run... a lot- way too much and way too fast (according to my standards as of now). It's been 5 years precisely since I last ran and I plan on running again- just have to examine the traffic pattern in my area and be sure to run when the fewest people will notice me running/breaking to walk/ looking like a hunch back going up a hill and/or forcing a smile :-) lol I'm afraid to know what that first 10 minutes will feel like and what my lungs are going to feel like! But first I need to buy myself the first pair of running shoes that I will have purchased since 2001! (I was on the track team in college... cats out of the bag- now I'm really ashamed at how long it's been!)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.