Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Attack of the Squirrels

My friend Matt tells true stories that are unbelievable. For example, he once took a job as an exterminator. He found the job by reading an ad in the paper. His interview consisted of one question: can you catch rodents? Matt, being the hunter that he is, said "yes." He was then told to wait for a call for his first assignment.

A few days later he got a call. Without any training or equipment, Matt went to a house to get rid of a squirrel problem. The squirrels were in the attic. They had found a hole in the roof and had made themselves at home. Matt said there were dozens of them. So Matt, with his bare hands, tries to capture a squirrel. Somehow he catches one, but doesn't really think through his actions. Squirrels don't just cuddle up with you when you catch them. They squirm, bite, and act crazy. With all the commotion the squirrel was making, Matt lost track of his footing and took a step...a step through the ceiling. Luckily for him the attic was over the bedroom. Next thing you know Matt is laying on a stranger's bed and looking straight up at the ceiling. Well, the posse of squirrels must have thought that what Matt just did was fun because next thing you know it starts raining squirrels. Matt says that dozens of squirrels started pouring down onto him and onto this stranger's bed. Like I said it's a true story that is unbelievable.

Now when I first heard the story I laughed my face off. Once I settled down I started asking questions. Why would a company not give you a uniform or at least a weapon of mass destruction to take out an army of squirrels? Why wouldn't they make sure you were trained? What in the world did the woman say to Matt after she walked into her bedroom and saw him sprawled out on her bed, cuddled up with dozens of squirrels? Matt jumped into something without asking any questions. He was in over his head and chaos ensued. Needless to say Matt only worked one day for this company.

Now you might not be able to relate to Matt's squirrel story but I bet you can relate to jumping into something without asking any questions. I know I can.
Here are some areas where people jump into things and don't ask many questions:
  • Dating.
  • Marriage.
  • Raising Kids.
Think about your dating life. Did you do any research on how to date? My guess is probably not. You just jumped in and try to figure it out, right?

What about marriage? I know many people who get engaged without getting premarital counseling, reading a book, or talking about which way the toilet paper should roll off the roll. Hey, that's really important.

Then there are kids. I think more people do research here when it deals with babies, but what about when your baby grows into a kid or a teenager?

I am notorious for jumping into situations and not asking questions. I've gotten in way over my head way too many times. But I did some research before I started dating, got married, or had kids. Here are some books that are great reads depending on what stage of life you are in.

Dating - 10 Commandments Of Dating by Ben Young.
Marriage - The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman, and The Creative Marriage by Ed Young Jr.
Kids - Babywise by Gary Ezzo and Dr. Robert Bucknam, The Father Connection by Josh McDowell.

Whether it's going to rid an attic of squirrels, dating, getting married, or raising kids we should do some research before we get in over our head.

What books would you recommend for dating, marriage, or raising kids?

24 comments:

  1. We read through a book called Each For The Other which was good, and the book I recommend to all people dating (or people who are engaged, but I don't think they thought about their actions) is 101 Questions to Ask before you get engaged. That book addresses so many things that people just don't talk about these days in our normal take your friend to the movies dates.
    Once married, we have each read books that are great. His Needs, Her Needs is a great book. Also, the only book I can remember the author off the top of my head is Sex, Romance, and The Glory of God by CJ Maheny.
    Hope those help some people!
    Oh and if your in your late 20's or older and single try e-Harmony. It worked for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude that is the most awesome story ever...i love squirrels...books on marriage....hmmm...you got the love languages...he also has one on the seasons of marriage which is good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel, that's a great book on marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, that was a power play move on his part. Good form. Sorry you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Five Love Languages is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of either of those books. I will have to check em out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, I will have to check out the seasons of marriage one. I haven't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is quite the story!  Hilarious!
    I definitely didn't think or ask any questions before beginning to date (and that was full of interesting times), but sought TONS of advice before marriage (which has turned out much better than my dating life!) & again we are before having kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love the squirrel story.

    But I'm going to stir things up a bit.

    I think that sometimes people over-research areas such as child rearing and marriage. To me, it almost implies there's a right or best way to do it. I think in our generation, we turn to books and the internet too frequently. Often, the best advice comes from the couples we know who may have been (mostly) happily married sixty years. And the moms and dads who've raised healthy and happy children, who are responsible citizens. So, advice books may have their place, but I'm always tempted to chuck 'em out the window and ask someone older than me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorite marriage books I read last year, Love and War by John and Staci Eldredge. Loved it. Felt it was really applicable and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dustin, I will have to check that one out. Last Eldridge book I read was Wild At Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leanne, I almost added that to this post but I was afraid it was getting too long. I totally agree with seeking wisdom from those that have gone before. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, we just watched the DVD for the happiest baby on the block and it's amazing. Tried it right away and it works. Get yourself a copy when the baby gets here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is NO book that can prepare you for Marrige or kids... I read them too and although the advice is good... it isn't really practical... every person and situation is different, live and learn and be willing to make mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a pretty funny story... I don't believe it... Just kidding. I'd like to say I am a person who generally asks a lot of questions. I like to do my research before just jumping in. However, I'm slacking in doing my research on parenting. My baby boy is due in November and I haven't read one word about parenting. I'll catch up though. Maybe I'll check out one of the books you recommended. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this story.  The true ones are always the most unbelievable - and HILARIOUS!  Yes I've read a couple of those books on your list.  And absolute must for a single girl to read, "He's just not that into you" This book literally changed my daughter's life.  It helped her to identify all the things she was doing wrong and all the lines that men say - when they're "not into you" - as excuses.  Not long after she read it and believed the guy that wrote it - she found her next boyfriend and now her husband and he's a GREAT guy - it gave her the self confidence to work through all the junk.  I wrote an article on this a couple of years ago - it was really life changing for her.  I've heard that "I kissed dating goodbye" is also a good one - it seemed a little radical to me - but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked I kissed Dating Goodbye. It isn't has extreme as it seems. It's basically courting or dating with a purpose. I will need to check out He's just not that into you. I like having books to give to my students. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Baby Wise is great! It has helped us maintain a schedule. We also just watched the DVD for the Happiest Baby on The Block. Great stuff. It looked stupid but I tried what they said to do and it worked wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you read the Five Love Languages? Very practical. The problem is that it's not easy to live out but it's practical stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We loved Shepherding a Childs Heart!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We loved Shepherding a Childs Heart!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We loved Shepherding a Childs Heart!

    ReplyDelete
  23.  wow , i fell it is not goog for catch rodents.oh no no no ............

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.