Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Wife And I Have More Than Being Opposites

And now it's time for a Paula Abdul flashback. I'll see you after the video...


My wife and I have a lot of differences. However, I don't know if we are opposites. Let's see...
  • She gets really tan vs. I am pasty white.
  • She'd rather read the book vs. I'd rather watch the movie.
  • She thinks about a million things at once vs. I have a one track mind.
  • She likes vampire books, movies, and TV shows vs. I would like it if someone killed all of the vampires...especially the sparkly ones.
  • She loves the beach vs. I hate the beach.
  • She likes to dress up in fancy clothes vs. I like to dress down in t-shirts and shorts.
  • She's really good at grammar vs. I stinketh at grammar.
  • She can't sit still to watch a movie at home vs. I not only sit still I often fall asleep.
  • She doesn't like for other people to hear her sing vs. I sing no matter who is listening.
  • She is very direct vs. I tend to be afraid of what people will think so I guard my words.
  • She is quality time and could care less about words of affirmation vs. I am all about some words of affirmation.
  • She loves camping vs. I think camping is punishment.
  • She doesn't prefer Chipotle vs. I prefer Chipotle for at least one meal a day.
  • She is a night owl and often gets going at 10:30 PM vs. I am a morning person and can't stay awake past 10:30 PM
So when looking at this list it appears that we are opposites. That's good if you are Paula Abdul and MC Skat Kat, but I'm not sure it's enough in marriage. In fact most of the people that I am really close to I'm close to them because of our similarities not because we are opposites.

My wife and I have something more than being opposites, we have a commitment that transcends all understanding. I'm committed to put her needs ahead of my own and she's committed to put my needs ahead of her own. It's crazy how when two opposites put the other one first they find something better than attraction. They find love.

What's your favorite Paula Abdul song? If you are in love is the person you love an opposite from you?

23 comments:

  1. Favorite Paula Abdul song? Knocked out. I'm not in love with anyone, except for, I guess, myself. And yes, we are complete opposites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude: you are asking me to remember past yesterday to name a PA song.  Can i just say "none?"  In 14 days I will be married for 38 years.  I am tall vs. she is short (6'5" vs. 5'3").  i am constantly moving vs. she moves from couch to frig.  I bike a lot vs. she has one.  I exercise vs. she rolls her eyes.  I get up between 3-4 but am gone at 9:30 vs.  she doesn't do mornings. I live physical touch vs. quality time.  I am an extrovert vs. introvert.  I prefer to read vs. she would rather watch TV.  With all those differences one wonders how in the world we lasted so long?  commitment.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should say I am lights out at 9:30 p.m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opposites Attract is my favorite, but runner ups are Straight Up & Rush, Rush. How can you not love a song with Keanu Reeves as the star of the video? You covered most of ours except I love white stuff (mayo, sour cream, etc) and you think it's gag nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite quotes: "In essentials unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, love."  My husband and I are different in personality and in some of the frivolous things we enjoy. However, when it comes to essentials--hard-core values that guide us through life, we are in absolute unity.  That makes it much easier to tolerate or provide room for the nonessential annoyances that could become issues if we were not in harmony on the essentials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "My wife and I have something more than being opposites........something better than attraction. They find love.."

    Beautifully stated.
    You may stink at grammar, but you nailed it as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never intentionally listened to a Paula Abdul song. Sorry for my ignorance. Yes, my person is opposite from me in many ways.

    P.S.  I, too, think camping is punishment. Camping is the only vacation where you have to work your butt off just to eat and sleep. So not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely is this. Something tell me M is pretty lucky. Something tells me you're even luckier (Sorry, I tend to defend my sex).

    I have a lot of theories, all completely true and unproven. ;) Here's one: The challenge of any relationship is to maintain the gentle tension of the Venn diagram. You need some overlap (the area of common interests) and some stand-alone stuff (individual interests). The challenge as relationships mature is to keep that tension. Too often the separate parts of the Venn diagram merge into one circle, leaving very little individuality; too often the Venn diagram breaks into two separate circles.

    Sounds like you and M are maintaining that Venn diagram tension nicely.

    Now, that'll be 10 cents please.

    Signed,
    Dr. Leanne
    Qualifications = zero

    ReplyDelete
  9. my favorite paula abdul song is either , Rush with keanu reeves in the video or straight up :) 
    Andrew and i are similar in most our likes...we r alot alike...i think haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff. Do you take paypal?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good one Mon. I should have thought about that nasty mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great! I liked Promise of A New Day by Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree about the camping. I think that you should buy Paula Abdul's greatest hits and play it loud next time Phil Poteat comes over. That would be a quality moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be too after biking 92 thousand miles. You deserve to go to bed by 9:30 PM.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And another quality comment for the Danster.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the shout-out, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a brother named Robby, so if I call you that, please excuse me. We must be brothers, as your list would be the exact same as mine.

    "Camping is punishment" - stood up and clapped at that one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is no way that this is the Paula Abdul, but whoever left this comment is very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would say Steve and I are opposites in lots of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honestly...I think this is the first Paula Abdul song I knew I had listened to, but I liked it :) and Don and I are opposites in very many ways but I think they are ways that we have learned, over more than 30 years together, to appreciate in each other. I love the word commitment.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.