Monday, June 13, 2011

1 Dad + 2 Babies - 1 Wife = My Life For Over 24 Hours

1 Dad + 2 Twins - 1 Wife = My Life for Over 24 Hours may sound like a title for a new summer blockbuster at the movie theater, but it's not. It was my life from 2:00 PM Friday to 3:00 PM Saturday.
Before our twins were born, my wife bought tickets to go see New Kids On The Block with the Backstreet Boys on tour in DC. Now you need to know that my wife was and is a HUGE fan of NKOTB. When she was little her dad took her to see them in concert two nights in a row at the Hampton Coliseum. That was when they were still new and still somewhat kids. Now they are old men but that doesn't stop them from hangin' tough and keeping the "New Kids" as a part of their name. A few years ago we didn't have twins and because I love my wife I took her to see them in concert. You can read about that adventure here.

So my wife heads out with her friends Courtney and Lindsey, to drive three hours to DC. Because it was so far away they stayed the night in a hotel and then made their way back the following day. That allowed me the privilege of hanging out with my twins for over 24 hours without her help. The following is a play by play of our over 24 hours apart. My pictures were taken on a camera phone so their quality is less then excellent. Enjoy...

3 hours of crying by Reese (luckily Hayden slept for most of that time)
vs.
 3 hours of driving.

I finally got Reese to smile for the camera
vs.

The girls finally arrived at their hotel.

I pulled this HUGE bugger from Hayden's nose
vs.
The girls pulled up to Quizno's for dinner.

My friends Ryan and Candice came to help for not one but two feedings
vs.

Monica's friends Courtney and Lindsey pose for the camera as they take the metro into the city. 

Ryan and Candice helped me take Reese and Hayden for a walk
vs.

Monica, Courtney, and Lindsey waiting for the concert to start.

After the last feeding I put them down and tried to go to sleep. The monitor went red a lot while I tried to sleep
vs.

Monica posing with her ticket to the concert.
More red lights on the monitor
vs.

New Kids and Backstreet Boys singing in red lights.
Even more red lights
vs.

Even more New Kids on the Block.

I think you get what my night was like
vs.

I think you get what Monica's night was like.

Hayden in the morning
vs.
Technically this picture was already used but all the girls did the next day was drive home, and Monica didn't take any new pictures of it.


My friends Dan and Danielle were a HUGE help on Saturday morning for not one but two feedings.

So that was my over 24 hours with the twins minus the wife. I am so thankful for my friends who helped me. I guess you could say I think it takes a posse to raise a child. I had good time alone with the twins, but my friends put in some serious hours. 

What was the last concert that you went to? Better boy band New Kids on the Block or Backstreet Boys?  

18 comments:

  1. Last concert I went to: DeGarmo & Key.  Yeah, it was that long ago.  As for the answer: how about neither? I heard enough "Right Stuff" from my two teen girls playing that music to last me a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed with your dad skills Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last concert I went to was Train with NeedtoBreathe. If I had to choose a boy band I would choose NKOTB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, you need to post a warning or something before posting "snot shots". Yuk and P.U.. As for boy bands, I still swoon over the Backstreet "Boys". My last concert was Boston. I saw them nearly 15 years ago at the amphitheater. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, my bad. Next time I will give ya a warning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember DeGarmo and Key. DC Talk opened for them when they were first getting started.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was an epic booger.

    Last concert, we saw Marc Broussard last March here in ATL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on making it 25 hours without Mon!!! PS I really like the new mobile viewing of your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last concert we went to was Shinedown. Surprise, huh? You're a good dad Rob...it does wonders for mama to get out of the house. Me and Mon are both blessed to have hubby's who are family men! :) great to see y'all at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was really hoping you'd blog about this!  I was looking forward to it almost as much as I was looking forward to Monica's pictures.  Way to go!  It's not an easy task for a new dad to take on 1 baby alone for 24 hours...but you did two...granted with the help from friends...but you had double the work!  The last concert I went to was another boy band...and you can still consider them boys...The Jonas Bros. last August and they put on a pretty good show.  There is NO contest, IMO, between Backstreet and NKOTB.  NKOTB ALL THE WAY.  Just recently, I changed my ringtone to "Step By Step." 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice ringtone. Thanks for the encouragment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just wanted to thank you for this post. So many Dads today say I have to "babysit" my kids whenever their spouse goes away for a quick trip to the store or a nice weekend get-a-way with the girls. I love the way you said I was able to "hang out with my twins". I think it is totally awesome!.....just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was my pleasure. It's easy to say babysit. I have said from time to time and I feel like I let a cuss word slip. I don't mean to say that because it's not. It truly is hanging with my kids. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My last concert was Muse in Charlottesville. I have been to a lot of concerts and I must say this was on my top 5 list.
    Love the post except for the bogger. Made my stomach rumble.

    ReplyDelete
  15. NKOTB for sure!  I think that the last concert that I went to was NKOTB with you and Mon!  I wish my answer was Dave Matthews, but I haven't made it to their show in quite awhile. 

    ReplyDelete
  16. Last concert I went to was Muse.

    The booger pic was gross, but I'd rather eat it then go to a NKOTBBB concert/waterboarding event.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.