Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Perish is not in France

I'm not great with vision. Not only do I wear contacts, but I struggle having a vision and then casting it. Great leaders are all about their vision. They write purpose statements and cast compelling vision to where they are going. Me, well, I tend to focus on the moment. I guess you could say that I'm far sighted, both with my eyes and with my life.

Proverbs 29:18 "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he."

Where there is no vision the people perish. Perish sounds like the way Daffy Duck would say the capital of France. Perish actually means...

1. Suffer death, typically in a violent, sudden, or untimely way.
2. Suffer complete ruin or destruction.

So to not have a vision equals a violent destruction. That doesn't sound like fun. I wonder if where we have ruin and destruction in our lives we can find a lack of a clear vision?

What would a vision look like for your family?
What would a vision look like for you?
What would a vision look like for your relationships?

I stink at vision. I get along on personality and incredible good looks. I'm joking about the personality part. There are a couple of areas where I haven't stunk at vision and there are a lot more where I do. For example...

For my marriage my vision is to have a marriage where people always ask if we are on our honeymoon. When I first got married whenever I would do something nice for my wife other married people would say, "just wait until the honeymoon is over." I don't want the honeymoon to ever be over. I want people to always ask if my wife and I are newlyweds. The way that I try to live out my vision is to love my wife like Jesus loves the Church.

For my kids, my vision is to raise kids who love God with all their heart. Not only do I plan on modeling this for my kids, but I pray it over them on a regular basis.

The way to get a vision is to ask, "Where are we going and how are we going to get there?"

I have some other areas in my life that are in need of a clear vision. There is some destruction and it's in need of some direction. For example my weight has been a source of destruction for me. It destroys my chances of taking off my shirt when I go to the beach. It destroys my health. It destroys where I want to be. So I am creating a vision. Where am I going with my weight? My vision is to lose and then maintain a healthy weight so that I can enjoy a long life with my kids. How am I going to get there? Today represents week two of Weight Watchers. I hope that I can stick to this vision.

Do you have a vision for your life? If so what is it?

14 comments:

  1. Main vision: I want to help people find their heart. 
    Physically: I want to do all I can to stay healthy.  I cycle, work out and try to watch what I eat.
    Socially: I love having a grandson so I want to be there for him as he grows up.  I always want to be the grandpa whom he knows he can come to and talk if needed.
    Spiritually: I want to continue growing deeper (cliche I know).
    Mentally: I want to continue learning & reading & learning.

    Hope you are successful with your WW. Good first move Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I did not know about the weight plan. I hope that you can stick with it because it can work. For me, I know that my weight is directly tied to what I eat and not to how much I exercise. Good luck. As for vision, I don't have any at this point. Used to, a long time ago. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my long-term visions was to have a Christ-centered marriage/ next I prayed for our 3 children to have Christ-centered marriages.  Now, I'm praying for the six grand-kids to have Christ-centered marriages.  I also envision them entering into successful careers that contribute positively to society and enable them to become self-actualizing, independent vessels who contribute mightily to God's kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, I hope I can too. What was your vision a long time ago?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great vision. I'm praying it comes true for your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob, thanks for sharing your heart, I appreciate your honesty and openness.  Had a recent shift in our family vision, found out I've potentially got a chronic illness that could cause me to lose my job.  I'm blessed with a Christian boss, as we discussed my situation, he told me that God isn't changing the plans for my life, but that God's plan is the same as it has been, we're just learning it may be different than we thought. Wise words I think, good for me to remember that we need vision and it is healthy and fruitful to look forward, but realize what we envision for our lives might not be what God has in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes you need to find a new vision or revise an old one.  I am at that spot now.  I am 52 years old and just graduated from health school and started a new job.  My husband lives in Texas, and our youngest son and I live here.  My husband and I are madly in love, but job circumstances have blasted any vision of where we would be at this point in our lives.  Time to rethink and regroup... and with so many "if's" sometimes that task is daunting.  But you go on, and you live, and you love, and you pray.  For now, "it is what it is."  For later, I hope we soon have a new vision to delight in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "May all your expectations


    Be frustrated.  
    May all your plans be thwarted.


    May all of your desires 
    Be withered into nothingness,


    That you may experience the powerlessness and 


    Poverty of a child and sing and dance


    In the love of God the Father,


    The Son and the Spirit."


    -Blessing given to Henri Nouwen by his spiritual mentor

    I always saw this prayer as a kind of vision...

    My physical vision right now is to compete in Tough Mudder and Warrior Dash... You should do one with me Rob... We could finish it together. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. My vision is to help others grow and live better lives. And there is no better to help others than helping them get closer to Jesus.
    My vision for my marriage is to simply have a loving honest relationship. I always put my wife first over anybody else. Obviously God is first above everything.
    I will be a father this year so my vision is to raise my son to love God and teach him everything I can on how to live life to the fullest and be a man of God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sirvhim, I'm sorry to hear that about your illness. I had no idea. I prayed for you today. Keep me posted on how things turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jan, thanks for sharing. I hope that you guys can find that vision.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeremy, I have been thinking about the Warrior Dash. We will have to see about that one. What time are you running in? I have friends running at the 9 something and the 11 something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joseph, congrats on being a future dad. It's amazing! Can't wait to read how it rocks your world.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.