Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Grab A Hold And Don't Let Go

My son, Hayden, has very active hands. On a daily basis he will find a way to grab my chest hair and pull the mess out of it. He is really strong for a 9 week old. I am wearing a shirt but he finds a way to pull down the collar of the shirt and grab a baby fist full of manly chest hair.

My wife tells me that I'm going to have to start wearing turtlenecks. That's not going to happen for two reasons. 1. Wearing a turtleneck goes against everything I stand for. It goes back to being in high school. While I was in high school one of my friends who just happened to be a girl made me promise to never wear a turtleneck. A guy in my class was wearing one and in a very serious tone my friend looks to me and says, "promise me you will never wear a turtleneck." I promised and I plan on keeping that promise for all eternity. And that leads to number 2. I'm not a poet or a jazz musician. I feel like poets and people who sing jazz can get away with turtlenecks. I'm neither.

Add to that the fact that there have been multiple occasions where he pulls on my chest hair through my shirt like a cowboy pulling on the mane of a wild horse. Giddy up. No shirt seems to help.

The other day he grabbed my chest hair and it forced me to yelp. It just plain hurts. This time though his action spurred on a thought. Too often in life we fail to grab hold and not let go. I think about all the things in life that people let go of far too easily. I think about the relationships that are let go of at the first sign of drama. I think about the dreams that never fulfilled because we fail to grab hold. I think about the moments that we miss out on because we are not fully present to grab hold and soak in the moment.

I don't know about you but I often give up far too quickly. Real relationships take work. You can't let go at the first sign of trouble. Real dreams take work. You can't let go the first time you run into an obstacle. Bing present in the moment takes work. You can't let go of the moment to check your smart phone. I hate it when Hayden grabs a hold of my chest hair but I respect him for his consistent ability to grab hold and to not let go.

What is one relationship, dream, or moment that you need to grab a hold of and not let go?

10 comments:

  1. Wearing a turtleneck goes against everything you stand for? Wow, that explains a lot my friend. As for me, the one thing that I need to grab a hold of and not let go is other people. It is so easy for me to walk away from people and hide, especially at the first sign of conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. relationship: my wife  Dream: growing to be more like Christ.  Moment: the one I live in at that time. 

    Side: solution to chest hair pull...shave it.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weight Watchers. I constantly let go of that relationship. Sheesh. You make a really good point. Well done, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You. Me. Turtlenecks. Same boat. Rowing. Crew club. Harvard. Money. Rich. Powerful. Presidential Candidates. The World.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a poet or jazz musician? i laughed OUT LOUD at that!

    my husband. i loved your sermon on sunday. really hit home.  i want to grab hold, submit, and enjoy the benefits of a wonderful, christ-like relationship with andy.

    and....my pharmacist. if i miss picking up my crazy pills by 1 day, i go, well, crazy.  i should really have him on speed dial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and me both. I told Monica that I'm signing back up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill, I like how you think. Shave or wax?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daniel, what does it explain? Keep hanging on to those relationships. You have a lot to offer!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving a good comment = God's blessing on your children's children.

Leaving a bad comment = a curse that will cause all of your children to be born bald and naked.